Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Ken
    Ken
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

In the HTC Desire Z I love the ability to write for ex. “a” and then press FN+space to have it with the standard accent “à”.
    Very easy and speedy compare to standard ASOP keyboard long press. Of course, if I need more type of accent need to long press the key.

zernag
    zernag
    Participant
    Replies: 8

Hi !

I just have a little question : Will it be possible in the future to have some specific keyboard, or at least a sort of cover to change the letter ?

QWERTY is good, but for non english, it would be better to or to do the modification to have a country cultural based keyboard (like Cyrillic, Azerty etc.)

Thanks for reading ! :-)

Slion
    Slion
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 22

I’m pretty sure there will be cultural variants.

Noir
    Noir
    Participant
    Replies: 42

zernag,

Keyboard variations are planned, but most likely not with the first batch produced. but will be possible to change the keymapping, so you can change what the keys output (press Y but Z is recognized for example), so if you’re typing blind you won’t notice a difference. There are 3rd party apps to change these settings if they are not included in the original settings.

Slion
    Slion
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 22

I’m pretty sure they will have major variants at launch. They need to target a wide audience for it to succeed.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 393

You were right with you assumption slion, on the device heading for the MWC, Just got a newsletter saying so :-D

raphaelcno
    raphaelcno
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 45

Here is a proposal for the Scandinavian keyboard layout:
    Scandinavian keyboard layout (http://i63.tinypic.com/16bxd77.png)

http://i63.tinypic.com/16bxd77.png

raphaelcno
    raphaelcno
    Participant

Sorry, keys “V” and “C” were not at the right place.
    Here is updated layout #2:
    http://i65.tinypic.com/35ld89u.png
    http://i65.tinypic.com/35ld89u.png

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Oh I certainly hope they will NOT make the right-shift of A-Z on the Scandinavian layout, and thus have æøå/äöå on native keys next to P and L

The right-shift could by fine for the US layout, but not for international ones with national letters.

Personally I would prefer a US layout without the right shift, so letters and digits are aligned as standard, but that is of course a matter of taste whether the centring is more or less important than standard relative positions of letters&digits.

I would start with something like this mock up for a general international keyboard. It could even be WITHOUT print on the last keys, to keep cost down so the same could be used for a variety of nations.
    international mock up

raphaelcno
    raphaelcno
    Participant

Good idea!

nidajeny
    nidajeny
    Participant
    Replies: 15

Just here to show my support and make my voice heard. +1 for Swedish layout with ä, å and ö.

Zimeon
    Zimeon
    Participant
    Replies: 6

Here to join with a vote for scandinavian layout. Right shift is not needed so EskeRahn layout mockup is better. Letters could have a print with æ/ä, ø/ö and å. æ/ä should be on the right side and not left imho.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

zimeon Many keyboards with common Scandinavian layout crack the problems with three colours. Swedes, Danes and Norwegians can (at the least) all agree on the Å should go next to the P. and in Swedish ÖÄ goes left of the L. But unfortunately Danes and Norwegians disagree on ÆØ or ØÆ left on L….
    (for readers outside Scandinavia: Ä=Æ and Ö=Ø)

The Norwegian approach of placing them as the Swedes makes much more sense than the Danish swap.

I would certainly prefer the keytops with scandinavian print too, But I would MUCH rather have an international ‘blanked’ layout, where I had to memorise the few, than having to let do with the PRO¹ take on the US layout and ‘odd’ placements of our national letters.
    And even though I hope all the best for this project I have my doubt if there will be enough Scandinavian buyers to sustain a special variant of the keyboard without a heavy surcharge.
    So my suggestion was partly a ‘fall back’ solution, and partly a base keyboard for national/regional layouts, if enough buyers are available.

raphaelcno
    raphaelcno
    Participant

Yes, I also agree with EskeRahn.

nidajeny
    nidajeny
    Participant
    Replies: 15

Empty keys might be fine. But I do like the quality feeling from the n900. L followed by Öø, ä with printed keys.
    Still hope it is possible to solve. But if that isn’t possible I do underand why.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 157 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.