Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

spam71, sounds reassuring. But I guess we have no way of knowing if they are doing it the same way on this all new device.
    And hopefully it can be done without rooting, as not all users might be comfortable rooting.

Siani_8
    Siani_8
    Participant

Well I don’t mind rooting for keymapping if that is necessary but for the life of me I can’t figure out why the Pro 1 has the microphone voice command button on both sides but not Alt. My G1 had it as well as G2 and the MyTouch 4G Slide in the past. it wasn’t until the Blackberry Priv that I suffered the awkwardness of alt only being on the left side of the keyboard.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Siani_8, what do you mean by “microphone voice command button” ? I’m pretty sure the yellow arrows are like “Fn” on many laptops, accessing the extras printed in yellow.. And I assume the “Logo F” is to launch their own suite of programs optimized for landscape.

spam71
    spam71
    Participant

All you have to do is edit 2 text files: 1 in /system/usr/keychars and 1 in /system/usr/keylayout. To do it, root access is required. Since ICS, these are simple text files.

Siani_8
    Siani_8
    Participant

EskeRahn: I’m talking about the key to the right of Cntrl key on both sides of the Pro 1 keyboard. I suppose it could act as Fn key but assumed it was the voice command key standard on android keyboards. Still, even if it’s like the Fn key, most keyboards only have one of those as it’s a less used function so I see less of a need for two of those wheras Alt is used ALL the time and would be way more useful to have one on each side.

Spam71: The last time I rooted a phone was the Galaxy S3. I wasn’t necessarily planning on depending on root functionality to get a standard keyboard function or even rooting the phone period. Assuming someone with the knowledge at XDA makes that process simple, I suppose I could look into it though and assuming someone with the knowledge buys the phone to make it happen to begin with because I’m no programmer and work outside on the railroad. I vaguely remember doing some kind of key map edit on an old MyTouch 4G Slide following forum instructions but isn’t something I really get into anymore. You say it’s simple and you may be right but why should I have to for a key that has been standard on the old great physical android keyboards of old when the makers of this phone could just add it before launch.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Siani_B, on the first, it is clarly not a microphone
    arrow
    I guess it depends on what functions is behind the Yellow arrow versus the Alt key to say whether one is better than the other to have doubled on both sides.

And I agree that Hopefully rooting will not be needed to handle different layouts.

Siani_8
    Siani_8
    Participant

I can definitely see it’s an arrow in that picture lol. well I guess we’ll see if the logic of having two of those and no second alt holds when it’s released. I’m gonna pre-order regardless by the end of the month and start shopping for some leather pouches that will fit cause I’m not a fan of the case. I wish they took a page from BlackBerry Priv at least and did a two piece to protect the top half.

spam71
    spam71
    Participant

Isn’t rooting a standard procedure required to get most of one’s phone? ;-)
    I only noticed, that if rooting is possible, potentially there’s no problem with keyboard layout tweaking. :-)

sic_zer0
    netman
    Participant

It’s for certain feasable to adjust the keyboard layout by writing an IME that translates the letters, which wouldn’t require root but it would replace the software keyboard in vertical mode (I have done this for a chinese android phone with a numeric keypad). Someone would have to do it though. I’d definitely root the phone personally though, it’s pretty much required or else you have to just live with ads in youtube etc.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Oh I’m not talking for or against rooting with the previous. I’m just saying that I hope there will be a more elegant solution not requiring rooting.

In my world there is nothing wrong with rooting BUT it is a bit like working on your PC with an admin account in daily use. It is easy, but it comes with a higher risk of something going haywire if you make a mistake, or you use software with malicious side effect. So it is definitely something I think only people that ‘know what they are doing’, should do, not the ‘average’ user.

OliverTypes
    OliverTypes
    Participant

Greetings from Germany! Put me down for a QWERTZ keyboard! :)
    Is there a vote on layouts somewhere on the forum? I looked around but did not see one.

raphaelcno
    raphaelcno
    Participant

For people interested in the QWERTZ keyboard, have a look at this new topic:
    https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/design-the-qwertz-layout/

Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.