Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Waxberry
    Waxberry
    Keymaster
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 40

If there is a Chinese Keyboard version available, I would suggest the design as in the attachment, “keyboard-layout-zh(1).png”.

Also, tried to attach the JavaScript version of the file, “keyboard-layout-zh(1).json”, but not allowed.

This is a very interesting suggestion. If the Chinese layout proved to be in a high demand, we would certainly consider it.

In the future perhaps if we can make user to do custom mapping, maybe we can just make the alternative printing / keypad and user can swap them on. :)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 203

In the future perhaps if we can make user to do custom mapping, maybe we can just make the alternative printing / keypad and user can swap them on. :)

Does the last part mean that the users can swap the keyboard themselves? That is that we can all safely pre-order the US model, and then later swap the keyboard if/when a layout fitting our needs better will be produced later on?
    If so do you have an estimate for the price of an additional keyboard?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    jcp jcp
    jcp
    jcp
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 3

Personally I never really uses the short cuts except by accident. But the idea is nice, and hopefully the user can customize them as they please.

I’m not sure about Android but on Ios to my surprise some programs correctly reacts to Ctrl-short cuts like Ctrl-Z, as well as C,V,X,…

So that kind of ‘short cuts’ I hope will be supported too.

:)

I hope the usual CTRL-(left or right arrow) will work as usual to skip through words and SHIFT-CTRL-(arrows) for backward/foward (resp.) word selection.
    On this topic I would really also like like the combination of (yellow arrow)+(arrows) could be mapped to HOME (for the left arrow), END (right arrow), PAGE_UP (up), PAGE_DOWN (down). I understand these keys are missing in the original design but there are very useful when editing a text.
    I remapped these keys on my N900 and it was working perfectly.
    By the way, please do allow easy key remapping; I am sure some users will want to change some of the characters depending on their needs.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

I hope the usual CTRL-(left or right arrow) will work as usual to skip through words and SHIFT-CTRL-(arrows) for backward/foward (resp.) word selection.

I think it is much up to the app what it reacts to. But for sure when they write their own email program optimised for landscape, I too hope they remember the various ctrl-navigation functionality.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    sic_zer0
    netman
    Participant
    Replies: 42

Androids EditText widget does ctrl-arrows to skip words already so most apps will already do it even if they didn’t explicitly implement it. You can see this in action with any bluetooth keypad that has ctrl or connecting a real keyboard via USB-OTG.

jcp
    jcp
    Participant

predictive/corrective typing
    Sorry if this subject is a little off-topic but it is closely related to keyboard functionalities.
    The on-screen keyboard nowaday comes with a band above the virtual keyboard with suggestions for word completion/correction or next word prediction. Unfortunately it seems we loose this predictive typing band with a hardware keyboard.
    For me the best of the worlds would be to have both : the hardware keyboard and the predictive band at the bottom of the touch screen. The predictive band would be shown only when typing. Of course not everyone will be happy with having this predictive band as it is eating some of the screen size : I suggest it could be activated/deactivated in the settings.

jcp
    jcp
    Participant

On-screen keyboard should be disabled when the physical keyboard is drown
    I noticed with other devices with touch screen and hardware keyboard, the on-screen keyboard is usually appearing as soon as the user touches the screen on a writing field. For some of the devices it is difficult to say what is the primary input but for the Pro1 it seems clear it is the hardware keyboard when it is accessible.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    jason
    DW
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 26

Androids EditText widget does ctrl-arrows to skip words already so most apps will already do it even if they didn’t explicitly implement it. You can see this in action with any bluetooth keypad that has ctrl or connecting a real keyboard via USB-OTG.

This is usually a standard operating system feature. When you implement your own editing areas then you need to implement these features but it’s rare someone does and usually it’s part of the acceptance criteria for the editing area anyway :D

bbliao
    bbliao
    Participant
    Replies: 1

Keyboard shortcuts, navigation are good features, but software optimization is a must. Videos shown in the latest tweet is not very convincing..

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Keyboard shortcuts, navigation are good features, but software optimization is a must. Videos shown in the latest tweet is not very convincing..

I’m quite sure they’re aware that there is an optimisation phase of things before release…. They just showed that the principle of an added feature works. Even the hardware we see it used on is unlikely to be the final version…
    Let us await a release candidate before judging anything.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    muth.inc
    muth.inc
    Participant
    Replies: 1

Hi,
    First my apologies if it is yet mentioned.
    I’m using different languages daily, and for years now I didn’t find a more convenient way than the US-international on computers. It is qwerty, but with the OS settings (windows/linux/macos) us-international keyboard. I don’t know if there is similar alternative on android. The behavior is simple and enable a lot of special character to be typed with only 2 sequential key press (including caps). It requiers the keys [ ‘ ] , [ ` ] and [ ” ]. As they’re on the Pro1, it would be very convenient. More than long press on a key to pop the special char window plus touching the screen, in my opinion.
    Here is the operation:
    To type the letter Ö, press once the [ ” ] key and then the [ O ] key.
    —- à is [ ` ] and [ a ]
    —- Ç is [ ‘ ] and [ c ]
    and for the regular char ‘ it is [ ‘ ] and [ space ] (same for ” or ` )
    Thanks for all this work F(x) team !

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

To type the letter Ö, press once the [ ” ] key and then the [ O ] key.

Welcome. Yes the ‘dead-key’ approach has been mentioned, though especially in the thread on the German layout. And indeed it is a solution to supporting many languages with a common keyboard.
    I hope we will have the option to remap things quite generally so we could make practically any logical layout, no matter what is printed on the keys.
    Currently the suggested German QWERTZ keyboard are closer to Danish than the standard right-shifted QWERTY, as we also got national letters right of L and P, so that would be a better print for me, so only a few keys shows something different from what they would actually give with Danish selected.

Pearl.852
    Pearl.852
    Participant
    Replies: 2

This is the most interesting idea that I have ever heard. Even just the custom mapping would be most appreciated.

In addition, my suggested re-arrangement of the overall layout could be applied to the English-US layout as well, which is more resemble to the PC keyboard layout.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    reiner.popp
    Palmanese
    Participant
    Replies: 2

Hi!
    I’m using the German and very often the Spanish language. So for mi would be nice if there is a possibility to write the character “ñ”, for example to use the “yellow arrow” key and the key “N”. I prefer the standard QWERTZ layout and additional a “yellow ñ” on the key “N”….
    Thanks for all this perfect work F(x) team. I hope, we will get soon the possibility to pre order the QWERTZ layout!

raphaelcno
    raphaelcno
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 16

I’m using the German and very often the Spanish language. So for mi would be nice if there is a possibility to write the character “ñ”, for example to use the “yellow arrow” key and the key “N”. I prefer the standard QWERTZ layout and additional a “yellow ñ” on the key “N”….

It may be a challenge to make layouts which satisfy people who write in two languages :-)
    One solution for you is to have the “~” sign on the “N” key (since “~” is a normal sign of the German QWERTZ keyboard), and with a software setting you will change the “~” sign to “ñ” character.
    See the layout proposed here:
    https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/design-the-qwertz-layout/page/8/#post-12970

Fx-QWERTZ-201904092-1-2019-04-15_RCa-strg

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.