Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 39

As a person from one of the Nordic countries, I really hope for a Nordic/Scandi layout. I have voiced my desire for this several times on Twitter, but I thought I might as well do it here too. I really want this phone. But I dont want to be without my ÅÄÖ signs either and also having the .,:;^~-_+ signs in the “correct” locations. 😄

As for shortcuts, all typical “CTRL + key” should work. As for software launch shortcuts, is probably not something I would use personally, and as long as I can choose not to use them I am okay with this being added too.

“Alt+tab” could perhaps be a thing too, but it is so easy to access the open apps menu via touchscreen anyways.

I hope for a Nordic keyboard too. But IF we are not gong to have one, you should take a look at the QWERTZ one here

It is quite close to the standard Swedish. OK the print of Z&Y are swapped, and a Ü is printed for the Å, but it would not take long to learn to ignore a few ‘wrong’ prints, as long as each key gives what we expect.

I would probably prefer the standard US QWERTY then over the German layout. You can get ÅÄÖ by holding down A and O for further options (if this will work as normal android keyboards; which it should). It is just a minor inconvenience. But having Y and Z in the wrong places would seriously fudge me up. ^^

I just wish FxTec would be more transparent on the demand and when/if we get to know if they are making a Scandi or not.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 291

I would probably prefer the standard US QWERTY then over the German layout. You can get ÅÄÖ by holding down A and O for further options (if this will work as normal android keyboards; which it should). It is just a minor inconvenience. But having Y and Z in the wrong places would seriously fudge me up. ^^

OH. The functional and the visible layout does not have to be 100% identical. It would be the PRINT only, of course we would get a Y pressing the key between T and U no matter a printed Z, when selecting Swedish/Danish/Norwegian layout.
    I can easily accept a few keys PRINTED ‘wrong’, but would hate to have æøå (or åäö) to be fetched in wrong places (I currently have this mess on both the BB Priv, and the click on keyboard for the S8- )

I will do what I can to have the functional layouts totally customisable. As soon as I know the format of the keyboard files I will make a program to modify them.

MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant

OH. The functional and the visible layout does not have to be 100% identical. It would be the PRINT only, of course we would get a Y pressing the key between T and U no matter a printed Z, when selecting Swedish/Danish/Norwegian layout.

I can easily accept a few keys PRINTED ‘wrong’, but would hate to have æøå (or åäö) to be fetched in wrong places (I currently have this mess on both the BB Priv, and the click on keyboard for the S8- )

I will do what I can to have the functional layouts totally customisable. As soon as I know the format of the keyboard files I will make a program to modify them.

This all assumes that this keyboard, like the PC-equivalents, can do such a switch. I.e. to have a phsyically differnet layout from the software layout. Not all keyboards can do that. If that is possible, then yes, then the QWERZ is better.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    nidajeny
    nidajeny
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 8

+1 for swedish layout – option with printed Ä,Å,Ö and no missplaced keys.

fredrick91
    fredrick91
    Participant
    Replies: 2

+1 for swedish qwerty

MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant

+1 for swedish qwerty

Hey, don’t be ignorant, lol! It is NORDIC qwerty. :P There are other countries than Sweden, you know! Not sure about Island, but Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark all use the same qwerty-layout.

No, not trying to be mean, just a bit nitpicky. ;-)

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Hey, don’t be ignorant, lol! It is NORDIC qwerty. :P There are other countries than Sweden, you know! Not sure about Island, but Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark all use the same qwerty-layout.

No, not trying to be mean, just a bit nitpicky. ;-)

Well Norway, Denmark and Sweden use ALMOST the same layout… (Norwegian as Swedish with different symbols Ä->Æ, Ö-> Ø, and Danish as Norwegian but with Æ/Ø swapped…). So for cheaper laptops we often see a common keyboard with three colours of letters on these three keys…

MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant

Go here to find a poll on what keyboard type you wish for!

raphaelcno
    raphaelcno
    Participant
    Replies: 34

Here is a proposal for the Nordic/Scandinavian keyboard layout, based on the German QWERTZ layout (https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/design-the-qwertz-layout/page/12/#post-14233):

Fx-Scandinavian-QWERTY-2019-05-13_2_RCa

Variant 2 with ‘ and * on Ä and Ö is closer to the desktop keyboard layout, but these two keys look a little overloaded. Variant 1 is easier to read.

For reference, here are the main differences between Swedish, Norwegian and Danish keyboards ( |, \, ÖØÆ, ÄÆØ):

Fx-Differences-between-Scandinavian-keyboards-2019-05-13_RCa

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Here is a proposal for the Nordic/Scandinavian keyboard layout, based on the German QWERTZ layout (https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/design-the-qwertz-layout/page/12/#post-14233):

I really don’t like the three characters printed that way, but unfortunately I do not have a better idea, as different colours would also look ugly (and most likely would add to the cost). Now if only the Danes did not swap the two, one could have been ‘creative’ and printed the Ö with a thin slash and dots. And similar the Ä/Æ could have been printed as an A with a thin E and dots…. I bet both Swedes and Norwegians could live with that… Like this quick mock-up

Attachments:
    raphaelcno
    raphaelcno
    Participant

I really don’t like the three characters printed that way, but unfortunately I do not have a better idea, as different colours would also look ugly (and most likely would add to the cost). Now if only the Danes did not swap the two, one could have been ‘creative’ and printed the Ö with a thin slash and dots. And similar the Ä/Æ could have been printed as an A with a thin E and dots…. I bet both Swedes and Norwegians could live with that… Like this quick mock-up

It could be a solution, but I’m not sure if Waxberry would be able to write these two combined characters, as they don’t have a Unicode and need to be “assembled” manually.

I have a black desktop keyboard with the three characters on each key, and I have just put some black tape on the characters which are not relevant for me, it works fine :-)

MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant

Here is a proposal for the Nordic/Scandinavian keyboard layout, based on the German QWERTZ layout…

Just as a quick note: FINLAND and SWEDEN uses the same keyboard. Just saying. :P Finland is always so neglected in these kinds of discussions. #FinlandMattersToo

:D

2 users thanked author for this post.
    MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant

Just got a reply from the dev team regarding pricing, shipping and keyboard layouts:

I asked the following:

1) Is it really true that EU-prices are including VAT and the only extra cost will be shipping?

2) How much the shipping to Sweden would be?

3) If I should order now or not in regards to those extra/additional keyboard layouts (i.e. non US QWERTY)

This was their reply:

fxtec

My follow up question was then to ask them to clarify then if it is really unnecessary to pre-order now then, if one only wants a Scandi-Qwerty layout. Still waiting for response. I also asked if they might consider changing from a UK distributor to an e.g. German, due to the unreliability that is Brexit.

P.s. I also gave them a friendly reminder that it is somewhat illogical/ignorant to call only the US-layout “QWERTY” as the majority of layouts out there are in fact QWERTY with slight nation-specific variations. Not to mention USA has two different QWERTY layouts as well… (again; WHY?)

Attachments:
    info1
    info1
    Participant
    Replies: 3

What is final QWERTY layout? Im not satified with one column of symobols on left side between “tab” key and “Q” key…

I do not think that it is 100% certain yet. But I’m pretty sure that the letters of the standard QWERTY delivered will be right shifted one key.

Personally I am likely to go for the German QWERTZ <span class=”gdbbx-bbcode-underline” style=”text-decoration: underline;”>print</span> layout, accepting the Z/Y to have the print swapped to get the letters in their standard positions (better for languages with national letters, e.g. Danish for me). A few other keys would also have ‘wrong’ print, but I for one can live with that.

It might be an option to consider for those that do not want the partly shifted keyboard for whatever other reasons too.

You have true – we have two options – original keyboard (but shifted) with US prints or QWERTZ keyboard (non-shifted) with some prints, that we do not need. Now I preffer option two due to non-shited physical layout (Im Czech). I could be fine to persuade designers to think about more international prints on QWERTZ version. Everybod form IT, could accept it better than local types.

I hope, that we could see keyboard layouts before final order.

raphaelcno
    raphaelcno
    Participant

Here is a proposal for the Nordic/Scandinavian keyboard layout, based on the German QWERTZ layout

Is it better to have the ~ sign on the N key or on the J key?

Fx-Scandinavian-QWERTY-2019-05-14_RCa

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 138 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.