Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 110

It might just be me, but for an indie project like this one, it would really be nice to see some more activity and input/responses from the devs themselves every now and then. I read in the support sub-forum about a lot of issues with e.g. the pre-orders and yet no response from the devs. I also sent a couple of questions to the devs via their info-email, but has not received any replies.

If this was some big, self-centered company I could understand this behavior, but for small indie-devs and projects like this I think it is crucial that there is a tight communication between the devs and the very niche-market target customers,

The only time I have gotten any response from the devs, it is via Twitter.

So please, dev-team. Try to at least reply to some of the forum-posts at least once a week or something. It gets kinda unmotivating to support a project like this when there seem to be no acknowledgement from the devs to the target consumers.

I agree with you in your point, but would also like to defend them a little bit. I bet they have an awful lot of work to do until July and not that much time to answer questions. It may seem like little work, but I guess some of the questions are sent over and over again.
    Yes it would be nice to hear more, but this isn’t crowdfunding. They have not taken our money, they own us nothing. Still they at least do much more than the big companies do.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 57

It might just be me, but for an indie project like this one, it would really be nice to see some more activity and input/responses from the devs themselves every now and then. I read in the support sub-forum about a lot of issues with e.g. the pre-orders and yet no response from the devs. I also sent a couple of questions to the devs via their info-email, but has not received any replies.

If this was some big, self-centered company I could understand this behavior, but for small indie-devs and projects like this I think it is crucial that there is a tight communication between the devs and the very niche-market target customers,

The only time I have gotten any response from the devs, it is via Twitter.

So please, dev-team. Try to at least reply to some of the forum-posts at least once a week or something. It gets kinda unmotivating to support a project like this when there seem to be no acknowledgement from the devs to the target consumers.

I agree with you in your point, but would also like to defend them a little bit. I bet they have an awful lot of work to do until July and not that much time to answer questions. It may seem like little work, but I guess some of the questions are sent over and over again.

Yes it would be nice to hear more, but this isn’t crowdfunding. They have not taken our money, they own us nothing. Still they at least do much more than the big companies do.

Yeah, I am not neglecting that they have a lot to do. They obviously do. But on the other hand, two weeks on the forum, and also reading some elder forum posts, they havent been very responsive.

Because even if they arent crowd funding, for such a niche product as this, I believe it could be good to stay in regular contact. E.g. my pre-order decision is much based on potential shipping costs and also on what keyboard layouts they will offer in the end.

Anyway, I hope you are correct and that they will get more in touch when things have calmed down.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 392

Yeah, I am not neglecting that they have a lot to do. They obviously do. But on the other hand, two weeks on the forum, and also reading some elder forum posts, they havent been very responsive.

Because even if they arent crowd funding, for such a niche product as this, I believe it could be good to stay in regular contact. E.g. my pre-order decision is much based on potential shipping costs and also on what keyboard layouts they will offer in the end.

Anyway, I hope you are correct and that they will get more in touch when things have calmed down.

As doktor.oswaldo said, I too think they are more than busy with the hardware, and likely certifications of various types. And the whole project is at such a late state that only software is likely to change substantially. So any feedback for the hardware is too late to affect a Pro¹ and a bit early for any successors…

And on the software side it is my impression that they want to be as close to native Android as possible, so our wishes here are things that could be handled after release also, so not urgent for them to handle it now.

Do not get me wrong, I too am impatient and can’t wait to get my dirty paws on the device. And I’m sure there will be a flood of feedback once the device is on the street,with suggestions of what could be done differently or additionally. But it is much more urgent to get the hardware out as planned, with stable software. Improvements of the software/firmware can be (relatively) easily handled at a later time.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 110

But it is much more urgent to get the hardware out as planned, with stable software. Improvements of the software/firmware can be (relatively) easily handled at a later time.

Absolutely. A nice stable product which can open this fabulous niche again is the target.
    Yes other projects have a fancy social media guy which does polls and ask for feedback all the time, but in this project-phase it is just show. I like the silent concentrated approach. They do not promise us anything they can’t deliver (I at least hope so).

And of course there are still a lot of wishes, but to be honest this phone is more than I dreamed to hope a year ago.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant
    Replies: 57

But it is much more urgent to get the hardware out as planned, with stable software. Improvements of the software/firmware can be (relatively) easily handled at a later time.

Absolutely. A nice stable product which can open this fabulous niche again is the target.

Yes other projects have a fancy social media guy which does polls and ask for feedback all the time, but in this project-phase it is just show. I like the silent concentrated approach. They do not promise us anything they can’t deliver (I at least hope so).

And of course there are still a lot of wishes, but to be honest this phone is more than I dreamed to hope a year ago.

I guess that is a subjective/personal opinion. I don’t like it when there is too little communication. I guess I have learned to be somewhat suspicious of silent companies from the the gaming industry, where silence usually means they don’t care about consumer feedback (albeit on later times, it has been the opposite with EA, Blizzard and Activision bashing gamers that complain….)

Of course the Devs should not promise something they cant deliver. But just because they communicate, doesn’t mean they should lie, does it? In another thread I just posted a reply I got from the info-mail about what they are gonna do with the different keyboard layouts. They said that they won’t provide non-US layouts at launch. And that is fine! Good clarification to an important question. It is not a promise of something they can’t deliver – rather the opposite, they tell us what they can’t do so there won’t be any misunderstandings. Now I know to just wait a bit further before purchasing, and that is totally fine!

Now that I know their roadmap a bit better, thanks to their reply to my email, I – like you guys – just hope for a stable and somewhat polished experience both on the hardware and software side. And I can happily just wait for a Scandi-QWERTY version of the phone. :D

I really want them to succeed in bringing back the physical keyboard phones!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    jason
    DW
    Participant
    Replies: 75

Communication wise I think its great they are planning a community meet up, no better way to show what they have got so far. I’d like more communication as well on the forum but tbh I’d rather they be getting the device ready for release :D

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Waxberry
    Waxberry
    Keymaster
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 93

Can you be more specific of the questions that isn’t been answered? I will try to get it sorted. Thanks.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    nh1402
    nh1402
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

Well questions in my case where:

if the phone has Widevine DRM L1 support, and if it does, does unlocking the bootloader permanently remove that or if relocking would restore it?

Does the display have panel self refresh?

Or a variable refresh rate display (probably not) and what refresh rate does it have?

The phone has nfc but is the reader front or rear facing?

Will the phone pass the safetynet test?

Being a metal phone I’m not sure how strong the antennas are going to be for all the wireless related things 2g, 3g, 4g, WiFi 2.4,5, Bluetooth, nfc, fm radio. Some people overlook that (Sony did with the Xperia X, it came with a plastic bottom where all the antennas were located, blocking it would significantly drop signal, at least for me).

From what I’ve heard and read, Widevine DRM L1 certification is supposedly free.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Being a metal phone I’m not sure how strong the antennas are going to be for all the wireless related things 2g, 3g, 4g, WiFi 2.4,5, Bluetooth, nfc, fm radio. Some people overlook that (Sony did with the Xperia X, it came with a plastic bottom where all the antennas were located, blocking it would significantly drop signal, at least for me).

I do not know the answers, but on FM, they use the headphones. To get a signal in you need something not far from ¼ wavelength, and in the FM band that is way beyond even the largest phablet. There are good reason while small transistor radios got an external antenna.

I can say that the FM reception with the preproduction unit it is EXTREMELY much more sensitive than my last phone with FM, the Xperia (Neo) Pro.
    In conditions where the (Neo) Pro struggles to get even audible Mono and if you hold the cable exactly right. The Pro¹, at the same position, delivers (almost) noise free stereo, no matter how I turn or twist the cable, you can even crumple the headphone cable. And this is indoors….. This was a nice surprise!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Does the display have panel self refresh?

Or a variable refresh rate display (probably not) and what refresh rate does it have?

We know at the display is from Boe, with the type number BF060Y8M-AJ0-7702 , so you might be able to find the info you want from that.
    See e.g. this and previous posts.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

if the phone has Widevine DRM L1 support

…I know NOTHING on Widewine, The “DRM Info” app on a preproduction unit says L3. Output practically identical to the Nokia8 here

storyworks
    Hook
    Participant
    Replies: 43

if the phone has Widevine DRM L1 support

…I know NOTHING on Widewine, The “DRM Info” app on a preproduction unit says L3. Output practically identical to the Nokia8 here

Yikes, that is concerning. Yes, I am interested in a keyboard phone because I want to be more productive, but when I occasionally watch some Netflix on it, I would like to get full HD. I appreciate you might not have the answer, but could it be just because it is a pre-production test model?

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

but could it be just because it is a pre-production test model?

Sorry, I haven’t got a clue, hopefully others that know more on the subject can help you.

gohigher
    gohigher
    Participant
    Replies: 1

Smartphone keyboard diehard since 2005. HTC, Droid one then my still kicking Droid 4. Have a brand new Droid 4 in a box ready to clone but Vz is trying their best to droid-kick me off their evolving network. You developers-owners are banking on the forgotten, business oriented keyboarders. NO press is bad, even in articulating the delays inherent with a complex project like P1. The real money will not hit until P2, anyway. (completely predicated on the P1)

If you have a delay then you can spin to getting it right for release. If you release a buggy product you are toast in the media. If you go silent and dark trying to control the release narrative to protect pre-orders – the momentum is trashed. In every psychological study with lawsuits and marketing, people appreciate and can accept the truth FAR BETTER than the sour taste of disingenuous salesmenship. Treat your business oriented buyers with honesty and crowd friendly proactivity and the buzz will continue to build to a success with P2. I ,for one, do not need a flashdragon 1000 turning video gigaflops at a billion megapixels to kill screen zombies. I seek a stable, dockable, business oriented computer that is a good phone, too. Remember- Droid 4 still serves me very well, but only for another 6 months. De-Googled clean Android or Lineage, please.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    nh1402
    nh1402
    Participant
    Replies: 2

I have another question, what’s the max brightness in nits of the display?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.