Screen protector

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    EskeRahnEskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 753

Well [insert bad word] we paid too much xD…

(Actually you might still be able to cancel the order at the order list if you are stingy enough to bother *LOL* )

sic_zer0netman
    Participant
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 198

Hmm trying in a second browser with cookies cleared, both links need login… Aliexpress has been a bit fussy lately even requiring login just for searches even (at least so I’ve been told), don’t really know what the deal is with that.

(I experienced the same inconsistent behaviour – I’m new to aliexpress)

It’s been a long time I’ve used it, only recently (since a few days) they require login for trivial stuff like viewing listings and searching. However it seems even if you where logged in before and the session expires you don’t need to log in again unless doing something like viewing order history or buying something, so I am hardly aware of these changes.

agent008Anderson Luiz Perazzoli
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 10

Interesting, and definitely not expensive. I would have preferred tempered glass though.

If you really put your phone (and the good “foil” protectors) to the test, you will be surprised. The somewhat substantial “thickness” of the film and also the materials “silicone-like”, soft, shock-absorbing texture, is brilliant. I assure you I drop my Priv at least weekly. You wouldn’t believe how intact it is. I firmly believe the “silicone foil/film” protectors are way better than the tempered glass ones. They absorb more shock energy thus protecting not only form scratches but also from shock (dropping the phone).
    Ever since I first tried this kind of protector (that Copter tablet protector which I then cut myself to fit the Priv — actually bought in Scandinavia – Helsinki!), I never even considered the tempered glass ones again. My brother-in-law is an iphone fan and breaks his tempered glass protectors about monthly. It starts to get expensive…

1 user thanked author for this post.
    jasonDW
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 125

Leather cases are also good protection but not as good as silicone.

NoobNoob
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

… plan is to try if a tempered glass protector for a Samsung S8+ or S9+ has the right side curvature (the width is 0.2 mm larger resp. smaller) and then use a glass-cutter to shorten it sufficiently……

This failed miserably, but protectors for the Elephone U Pro with the same front exists.

That did sound a bit strange, there’s no way you can cut tempered glass. It will shatter (not just break) as soon as you try.

EskeRahnEskeRahn
    Keymaster

That did sound a bit strange, there’s no way you can cut tempered glass. It will shatter (not just break) as soon as you try.

Yeah, that was too optimistic It is not a problem cutting with a diamond, but I could not get it to follow the line breaking at the cut. I guess the film inside is too tough to just tear where I want it to….

doktor.oswaldodoktor.oswaldo
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 164

Yeah, that was too optimistic It is not a problem cutting with a diamond, but I could not get it to follow the line breaking at the cut. I guess the film inside is too tough to just tear where I want it to….

Seems to be a little bit more complex: https://www.wikihow.com/Cut-Tempered-Glass

sic_zer0netman
    Participant

I’ve had some luck cutting thin glass (light bulbs and the likes) with diamond based cutoff wheels (the type like for dremel tools) under flowing water. It’d be hard to hold on to a curvy screen protector and cut tidy though.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahnEskeRahn
    Keymaster

Seems to be a little bit more complex: https://www.wikihow.com/Cut-Tempered-Glass

Wauv, that is complex…. But might not be quite as complex on these very very thin sheets.

And looking here, many screen protectors sold as “tempered glass” protectors really should be called “laminated glass” protectors. (It also have an illustrative video)
    As when they break, they do not break quite the same way a say tempered glass door, breaking the whole piece into about equally sized bits. It cracks along a number of lines, looking like a spiders web, but it (usually) stays together. See some examples e.g. here

doktor.oswaldodoktor.oswaldo
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 164

Wauv, that is complex…. But might not be quite as complex on these very very thin sheets.

And looking here, many screen protectors sold as “tempered glass” protectors really should be called “laminated glass” protectors. (It also have an illustrative video)

As when they break, they do not break quite the same way a say tempered glass door, breaking the whole piece into about equally sized bits. It cracks along a number of lines, looking like a spiders web, but it (usually) stays together. See some examples e.g. here

This wouldn’t be what you want anyway:

This process is called annealing, and it will effectively undo the tempering process, weakening the glass to the point that you can cut it.

EskeRahnEskeRahn
    Keymaster

This wouldn’t be what you want anyway:

This process is called annealing, and it will effectively undo the tempering process, weakening the glass to the point that you can cut it.

The point is that what is SOLD as tempered glass protectors (most often?) really are laminated glass protectors, so it already is simple annealed glass on a sheet of plastic, and hence (at least in theory) simpler to cut, as Netman described above.

BUT maybe one would need to cut at BOTH sides, as it is two sheets of glass with a film in between. But anyway not simple….

James.vizoJames
    Participant
    Replies: 8

I just received these guys to try out on the Pro1 when I get it. We’ll see if they work. I found them on eBay.

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    NoirNoir
    Participant
    Replies: 83

I ordered similar ones, still waiting for them to arrive. The upside of these protectors is, that they cover the curved edges and the application is not too hard, but the big downside is that they are rather soft, I don’t think they protect the screen from an impact. And unfortunatley, the adhesive on the edges tends to become loose, allowing dirt to get between the protection cover and the screen’s glass after a while of use..

5 users thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahnEskeRahn
    Keymaster

I forgot to post an image of the elastic one mounted, but can be found in this thread (not on final unit though)

sic_zer0netman
    Participant

I just received these guys to try out on the Pro1 when I get it. We’ll see if they work. I found them on eBay.

funny how it says FX, it was meant to be i guess :D

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2019 FX Technology Limited. Company Number 11602958