Community meet up in London

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Swond
    Swond
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 40

I hope someone from here who attended comes by and gives a detailed account.

I attended the event, my phone history is that I’ve had two Nokia E7s, but then had to switch to Blackberrys, initially a Classic and then a KeyOne so I was interested to view the Pro1.

I think there were about twenty people there, all in all, along with the guys from F(x)tec.
    Good sliding mechanism, very reminiscent of the the E7.

Device seems robust, I did try to see if it flexed when closed/open and it felt solid; there didn’t seem any lateral play when the hinge was open.

Good travel on keyboard, better feel I think than KeyOne, more like the E7. It is backlit but was difficult to see in bright lights in the room.

Wow, that is huge! Thanks for the comparison picture! Also have E7 so it is perfect to see that :) Don’t you have also a picture when closed? Pro1 vs E7?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 647

Wow, that is huge! Thanks for the comparison picture! Also have E7 so it is perfect to see that :) Don’t you have also a picture when closed? Pro1 vs E7?

Just made a few quick ones with a samsung, not sharp, but you can see the size…

IMG_20190606_024303_HDR01

IMG_20190606_024154_HDR01

Attachments:
    8 users thanked author for this post.
    michael.bosscha
    Michael Bosscha
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 49

I see there’s a screenprotector being used. Not entirely fitting, but I guess it works good enough. Does it impair the front camera?

Great to hear the good stories guys. It’s one thing to hear from the company itself how nice and cool it is, it’s another to hear it from the people who I consider to be the most hardcore when talking about keyboards. I’m not regretting my pre-order at all!

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 647

I see there’s a screenprotector being used. Not entirely fitting, but I guess it works good enough. Does it impair the front camera?

The one I found here is a fairly mediocre fit, to put it mildly. I have not (yet) found tempered glass protectors with fitting curvature, just flat ones (and this even got a common cut out in the top for camera etc). There are various plastic ones with curvature, I have not tried these, as I wanted nothing less than tempered glass on this this hard to get specimen. Once it goes into real production, I might settle for less, and just buy a spare screen , for the bad chance of a plastic protector not doing the trick.

Personally I’m not a huge fan of Gorilla glass. It is a GREAT compromise if you do NOT use a protector, but I prefer a more elastic material, and then have a simple film of top for all the scratches that you replace regularly (e.g. monthly) when it gets too scratched.
    As gorilla glass is hard to scratch, this means that it is also brittle. For other Gorilla glass devices I have used a tempered glass protector (cheap) and they have saved my real screen several time, taking the force of the impact when dropped. They usually cost £1-4 and I replace them about every two months, as some corner of it breaks. Or after a real impact of course. So got a pile in stock. (Though I have had one on my Priv with a broken corner for almost a year – I’m just being too lazy to swap it, as the Priv is no longer a daily driver….)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    michael.bosscha
    Michael Bosscha
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 49

Thanks for the heads up @eskerahn. I tend to hold my phones pretty well so in all the time I’ve had a phone, falling has happened a total of about 20 or 30 times, and at least half of that are credited to Nokia’s. I hardly drop my phone nowadays, so I’m content with Gorilla Glass. It has to be said that the largest I’ve handled is an HTC One; the LG q6 I’m using now doesn’t come close to the Pro1, so I’ll have to see how it handles…

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Community meet up in London’ is closed to new replies.

© 2019 FX Technology Limited. Company Number 11602958