Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    david
    david
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 20

AnnieC – Well said. It really is mind-blowing.

It is clear from reading posts on here and elsewhere on the web that a sizable percentage of prospective customers were very enthused to hear of this phone and then disappointed when the screen turned out to be curved. It is the one thing that stands out as as a design flaw on an otherwise very well thought out phone. Curved screens are problematic on regular phones. Those problems are magnified in a slider form factor.

sic_zer0
    netman
    Participant
    Replies: 42

Well it’s pretty hard to know what percentage of people would prefer a flat screen and how many would not notice the phone if it wasn’t for the sleek curvy look, only the people who dislike it are going to open their mouth most likely. I’d really prefer a flat screen but if it sells better with the curved one i believe they should go with it so that for now to give keyboards a better chance, and I most definitely still need one.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 203

I’m with netman here. I too believe it could sell better with the curved screen.
    Look at it this way: Us dinosaurs that want the traditional bezel-fitting of a flat screen are most likely going to buy it with whatever screen it is made, to get the keyboard. On the other hand younger potential buyers might find it too much old-style with a traditional display, so here the curved display might tip the balance.

I must say that I was strongly opposed to curved screens until I got the Priv, where I found it to not be as problematic as I expected. Actually I get more erroneous interaction of my Samsung S8-. My GUESS is that it being slimmer, make the pick-up slightly different, and this increases the risk of interacting with the edge. Also because one hand operation of the display is completely out of the question with the Priv. With a little effort I can one hand operate the keyboard though, on both the Priv and the S8- snap on. And to some extent manage to use the S8- display with one hand also, though with far from trouble-free interaction.

I also expected the more unprotected display of the S8- to be a problem over the Priv, as the Priv got the two tiny metal protrutions top and bottom, perfectly protecting the tempered glass protectors I use. However. I changed them when they broke every 1-2 month on the Priv, but on the S8- where it is much more exposed i’m still at number two after half a year….

So that all makes me worry less on a curved Pro¹

sic_zer0
    netman
    Participant
    Replies: 42

Dinosaurs is the right word :D! Also forums are only for some specific audience so any voting statistics is skewed here. With more bezels and flat screen the demographic that just walks into a store and buys a phone may dismiss the phone without looking closer thinking it’s just a feature phone or otherwise cheap crappy thing while the curved screen screams “this is pretty much a galaxy s-something” from half a mile away. If this holds true (I don’t know, I’m no expert on people) then it could be very important to sparking a new interest in real keyboards on phones. From what I see so far, I feel like we should put some trust in the people at fxtec and hope it pans out nicely :).

mathias.kiermeier
    mathias.kiermeier
    Participant
    Replies: 2

I’ll keep it short.

I like the curved screen. I like the way it looks and I never had any real useability problems.

doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant
    Replies: 37

Wow I am not that old…
    No honestly if somebody read this thread he might think that most modern phones have a curved screen which is not true. Most of the phones have a flat screen. And even on Samsungs flagship a lot of people would prefer a flat screen:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/87kd9a/would_you_buy_a_flatedged_galaxy_s9/?limit=1500.

And here a general Poll to flat vs curved:
    https://www.poll-maker.com/results2049800x31E0496d-56#tab-2

It is hard to get good data, but look at the Iphone, young people are buying these without curved screens.
    Real data of all sold smartphones curved vs flat would be interesting. I bet flat screens would be at top.

But anyway I don’t know why, a lot of people here are seeming to know what young people want to buy without any data at all. Yes the Samsung thingy is the best selling smartphone, but is it because of the curved screen? I doubt it!

So If most smartphones have flat screens, most of us “dinosaurs” here want flat screens, flat screens are cheaper more stable and do not need any software twerking at all, why should the phone have a curved screen? It does look like an desperate try to make a phone with function focus look cool. You know what makes it cool? The keyboard. And that is actually the only point. If people like the keyboard they will buy it no matter what screen (Yes I will buy one also with a curved screen). If not, well this will be a short story here. So why not take the cheap sturdy and battle-tested approach of a flat screen?

david
    david
    Participant
    Replies: 20

doktor.oswaldo – Yes. That’s the only point. The keyboard. People aren’t going to buy this phone because it has a curved screen. They are going to buy it because it has a keyboard. Make a phone that has the features that keyboard users want. Function over form.

People who will buy a phone because it has a curved screen are the type of people who won’t (on average) buy this phone, because it is too thick, doesn’t have a big *enough* screen, etc.

I’ll say it again. The main disappointment in this phone is the screen. A bit further down in disappointment level for many people is the size (some people are more upset about the size than the curved edges). And quite a bit further down from that, not having a quickly removable battery. Those are the top 3 issues. Then way, way down on the list you’ll see people talking about dual sims (not shared with sd card), wireless charging, radio bands supported, no IR blaster, no FM radio, etc. Those are minor concerns vs the screen.

Well, to be clear, if all the radio bands for a given carrier aren’t supported, I guess that would be a big deal for that segment of the market. :-) It seems like most carriers are fairly well supported and the phone only misses a subset of bands, so isn’t a deal breaker.

People who want a keyboard phone badly may buy it in spite of the poor screen design. But those people are still going to give bad PR to the phone on that design factor, especially when the screens start breaking.

Serolfic
    Serolfic
    Participant
    Replies: 1

I have to agree. I don’t understand why they’re going with the curved screen.

– They’re more fragile
    – They’re harder to find screen protectors for, and considering this will be a niche phone there aren’t exactly gonna be many options either.
    – The way light reflects off the curve is annoying (see attached image). Admittedly, I haven’t met anyone else that really cares about this aspect so maybe it’s just me.

I reckon the look would be so much cleaner with a flat screen.

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Keyahnig
    Keyahnig
    Participant
    Replies: 10

I like the curved screen. It makes the device a lot less bulkier and it looks nicer overall. The only downside will be finding a screen protector.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

I like the curved screen. It makes the device a lot less bulkier and it looks nicer overall. The only downside will be finding a screen protector.

As suggested earlier, I have a perhaps optimistic hope, that cutting one from a S8+ or S9+ with a class cutter might be a possibility, if the side-curvature matches.

kashif
    kashif
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 5

Hi
    Just thought to share my thoughts too.
    As i have been using Nokia E7 for the last ten years as my prime device, so i think this big screen of 6 inches with curve screen is the best thing to go with.
    E7 is so similar to this. while using E7 i wish to it could have bigger screen. i use it as my main device for work and i work in IT. i have all my notes, code base, knowledge base and all my databases running on my E7. when reading notes or taking notes, running my databases i find it a bit hard to read on the small screen. i also have Galaxy note 8 at the moment and my other phone and everything is so much clear and easy to view on note 8. its just that i hate note 8 form factor.
    So i would say pro1 with 6 inch curve screen will be so much better as an executive device.

The only concern i have is that such devices like pro1 which are different to norm at the time are often cancelled at the last minutes and never able to get out. i have signed before for such devices but they all canceled because of not fisiable financially.

so i hope this device will make it to release.

doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant

This does not at any point list an advantage for the curved screen just for a bigger screen. Why do you want it to be curved? Are there any reasons except style? A little bit more screen size? Do you really use the curved part of the screen?

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

This does not at any point list an advantage for the curved screen just for a bigger screen. Why do you want it to be curved? Are there any reasons except style? A little bit more screen size? Do you really use the curved part of the screen?

Well we can do a little calculus knowing the display is 2:1 gives a width of 5.99″*25.4/√(1+2²)=68.04mm. Combined with the width of the device 73.6, we get slightly short of 2.8mm bezels on each side.
    Not many devices with traditional mounting have less bezels. If you look at Meizu 16X, it is pretty close in dimension, and have a ultra thin bezel around the display. But if that thin I doubt that it will help much in protecting the display. EDIT: I’m not sure it got the edges protected either.
    A device like the Sharp Aquos D10 got slightly larger side bezels.

doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant

Well we can do a little calculus knowing the display is 2:1 gives a width of 5.99″*25.4/√(1+2²)=68.04mm. Combined with the width of the device 73.6, we get slightly short of 2.8mm bezels on each side.

Not many devices with traditional mounting have less bezels. If you look at Meizu 16X, it is pretty close in dimension, and have a ultra thin bezel around the display. But if that thin I doubt that it will help much in protecting the display. EDIT: I’m not sure it got the edges protected either.

A device like the Sharp Aquos D10 got slightly larger side bezels.

So in the end it is about style and screen size?
    I’ve read a lot that people with curved screen do not use the curved part of the screen. So would a bezel really mean we lose anything? I don’t want to be an ass about that, i really want to understand if there are any valid pros of a curved screen. And more screen estate may be a valid pro.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

So in the end it is about style and screen size?

I’ve read a lot that people with curved screen do not use the curved part of the screen. So would a bezel really mean we lose anything? I don’t want to be an ass about that, i really want to understand if there are any valid pros of a curved screen. And more screen estate may be a valid pro.

Well I do not know the whys. My point was just that IF they were to change to a ‘classic’ flat display with bezels that has dimension where it actually protected anything, then that would lead to a (slightly) smaller display area, everything else unchanged.

But I would guess that a big part of it is the style-thing. A usable keyboard in itself is very much a retro thing for many out there, and if it also LOOKED like a 2010 device, some could be scared off.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.