Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 203

I think it’s completely beside the point to use a curved screen to make it look cool for a wider audience. This phone is made specifically FOR the dinosaurs. Who else would buy a keyboard phone? The “kids these days” don’t care about a keyboard. It’s just not cool anymore.

We might be dinosaurs, but I at the least do not want to go back to neither monochrome, non-touch nor vga… ;).
    So I hope we all agree that we want a modernised version not a replica of what we had.
    I personally don’t have neither a strong urge for nor grudge against curved screens. As I wrote earlier I did dislike them until I actually got a device with it (Priv), and found my fears of the discomfort to be hugely exaggerated.
    On the pro-side it allows for a larger screen at the same size device, and allows for swipes on SailFish – and despite sounding odd I believe also easier to get and thus cheaper in 2019. On the con side it will be more exposed (and thus have a higher risk of breaking) and can give unwanted side-interactions.

Does one outweigh the other? Personally I’m not sure, but to each their own,

Before giving up on the curved, try to find a friend with e.g a Samsung S8+, S9+ or S10+, and borrow it to play around with for a few hours. as they are quite close to the same width.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    peter3
    ynari
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

I don’t really care either way. I have a Priv and do see the curved screen as a bit of an unnecessary gimmick, but it’s not going to stop me buying the only landscape rootable Android phone on the market.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

I don’t really care either way. I have a Priv and do see the curved screen as a bit of an unnecessary gimmick, but it’s not going to stop me buying the only landscape rootable Android phone on the market.

Spot on in my book!. A landscape keyboard slider is MUCH more important to me than if the edges are curved or not.

dak1st
    Dakkaron
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

A friend of mine got himself a Galaxy Edge and I had quite an extensive play with it. It totally sucks. You keep touching the edge with your palm, especially when tryint to type single-handed and the concerns about durability where confirmed the first time he dropped his phone. He dropped it from about 20cm height onto his computer’s keyboard and the display shattered so hard that chunks of glass came off.

As the father of a little toddler my phone needs to withstand at least little drops without trouble.

And since I made my own keyboard attachment for my current phone (thanks to a 3d printer thats not hard to do) I am not nearly as hard pressed to get a keyboard phone as I was a year ago. So for me, QWERTY-slider does not trump a rounded display.

And when reading through this thread there are people who say a rounded screen is a no-go and others who say they don’t mind it. But what I haven’t seen is anyone who is enthusiastic about it and say they wouldn’t buy it if it had a regular flat screen.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant
    Replies: 37

I think it’s completely beside the point to use a curved screen to make it look cool for a wider audience. This phone is made specifically FOR the dinosaurs. Who else would buy a keyboard phone? The “kids these days” don’t care about a keyboard. It’s just not cool anymore.

We might be dinosaurs, but I at the least do not want to go back to neither monochrome, non-touch nor vga… ;).

So I hope we all agree that we want a modernised version not a replica of what we had.

I personally don’t have neither a strong urge for nor grudge against curved screens. As I wrote earlier I did dislike them until I actually got a device with it (Priv), and found my fears of the discomfort to be hugely exaggerated.

On the pro-side it allows for a larger screen at the same size device, and allows for swipes on SailFish – and despite sounding odd I believe also easier to get and thus cheaper in 2019. On the con side it will be more exposed (and thus have a higher risk of breaking) and can give unwanted side-interactions.

Does one outweigh the other? Personally I’m not sure, but to each their own,

Before giving up on the curved, try to find a friend with e.g a Samsung S8+, S9+ or S10+, and borrow it to play around with for a few hours. as they are quite close to the same width.

To be clear, I will also buy it no matter what screen. I am glad that somebody builds a slider phone again, everything else is secondary.
    But I doubt that the curved screen is cheaper. Most of the phones still have a flat screen, they have to be cheaper.
    But could be a special deal or something, b2b is a strange market.

If it really is cheaper, sure go for it why not. But since I highly doubt that it seems like a rather strange decision.
    The sources I posted earlier in this thread are indicating that not even Galaxy users really like the curved screen.
    Put the money in a highly controversial special Gimmick and then go for an old chipset is unusual (not that I care, the chipset will handle my mailapp. But all the reviews out there say: “Oh it is great, if you can live with the old chipset”).

So why it won’t stop me from buying I can’t comprehend why they did go that road.

P.S. The swipping on sailfish might be the first functional pro I saw in this thread. Has somebody a video or another source about that feature? Would appreciate it.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

P.S. The swipping on sailfish might be the first functional pro I saw in this thread. Has somebody a video or another source about that feature? Would appreciate it.

Never tried SailFish myself, but found this “Hands On & Demo” video from here

But can’t see why this could not work on a ‘bezelled’ display also.

georgepatton1945
    Joakim
    Participant
    Replies: 10

I think this video pretty much demonstrates most of the functionalities of Sailfish 3:

Edge swiping is pretty much used for system wide commands: Swipe from the bottom brings up the app menu, Swipe from the left takes you to Notifications screen, Swipe from the right gets you to multitasking window. Swipe from up brings down a quick settings menu.

Some of these swipes can be reconfigured to some extend, but that pretty much describes the basic functionality. (For example, you can bind swiping from upper corners to closing currently running application)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant

I think this video pretty much demonstrates most of the functionalities of Sailfish 3:

Edge swiping is pretty much used for system wide commands: Swipe from the bottom brings up the app menu, Swipe from the left takes you to Notifications screen, Swipe from the right gets you to multitasking window. Swipe from up brings down a quick settings menu.

Some of these swipes can be reconfigured to some extend, but that pretty much describes the basic functionality. (For example, you can bind swiping from upper corners to closing currently running application)

Thanks a lot. But this seems to be perfectly possible with a flat screen too.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

I have the same feeling, though it might feel a little odd swiping between a continuous screen, and a protruding bezel, (either to or from the display). At least the bezel should feel smooth I guess.

doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant

I have the same feeling, though it might feel a little odd swiping between a continuous screen, and a protruding bezel, (either to or from the display). At least the bezel should feel smooth I guess.

I fear that swiping from the display to the edge is not that comfortable. You would probably need a lot of pressure to not lose contact with your thumb. So I guess the swiping must ignore the curved part.
    Edge-only swiping could be a useful feature (scroll through open apps). But it seems that Neither Sailfish nor Android are adding any functionality to the edge. Even Samsung removed it because nobody used it anyway (as far as I know that was the reason).
    If the Edge does anything at all to swiping it seems to be interfering with it in my opinion.
    But since somebody said it would help I would love to hear other views to that.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

I fear that swiping from the display to the edge is not that comfortable. You would probably need a lot of pressure to not lose contact with your thumb. So I guess the swiping must ignore the curved part.

I guess it matters how the logic work, and how dense the sensor-grid of the display really is, It might not matter if it ends a few pixel before the actual edge. But of course if Sailfish expect the movement to go all the way, and the sensor grid is only a few pixels wide, it might be a problem to get to correctly trigger the outermost touch sensors of a display with protruding bezels.

doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant

I guess it matters how the logic work, and how dense the sensor-grid of the display really is, It might not matter if it ends a few pixel before the actual edge. But of course if Sailfish expect the movement to go all the way, and the sensor grid is only a few pixels wide, it might be a problem to get to correctly trigger the outermost touch sensors of a display with protruding bezels.

Exactly what I mean. But if it ends before the edge, the edged part of the display is again unused.

On another Note on this Topic: The new Samsung Galaxy S10 will have a Lite edition (S10e) with a flat screen!
    So Samsung the shiny knight of curved screens does think there are people who want a flat screen or at least buy it even with a flat screen. But the real interesting thing is, it is the cheapest model which has the flat screen.
    So it seems to be indeed cheaper, even for Samsung, to have a flat screen.
    This does not 100% mean that it is the same for this phone (Samsung manufactures the screens themselves), but chances are pretty high that a flat screen would have been cheaper.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

On another Note on this Topic: The new Samsung Galaxy S10 will have a Lite edition (S10e) with a flat screen!
    So Samsung the shiny knight of curved screens does think there are people who want a flat screen or at least buy it even with a flat screen. But the real interesting thing is, it is the cheapest model which has the flat screen.
    So it seems to be indeed cheaper, even for Samsung, to have a flat screen.
    This does not 100% mean that it is the same for this phone (Samsung manufactures the screens themselves), but chances are pretty high that a flat screen would have been cheaper.

Uh, I guess there are many factors in play here, And we can for part of it only guess on the “why”s. Sure when Samsung produce the display themselves, and in large quanta specifically for each model, the flat is likely to be cheaper. But the Pro¹ is going to use already existing ‘standard’ components, due to not expecting to sell multiple millions. And it might be that the number of displays in the right size, quality and resolution is quite limited, and curved are prevailing thus influencing the prices.
    Also remember that Samsung wants the S10e to be less desirable than the more expensive versions, to have a price-ladder. And that might be part of their calculation to keep the models apart to use what they expect people to see as a less desirable display. The same way they use a different camera setup.

(But as I said those are of course just guesses on the “why”s)

georgepatton1945
    Joakim
    Participant
    Replies: 10

To be fair, if we talk about costs, doing major overhaul on the design and what big parts to use (logic board, screen etc), is most definitely going to increase cost or even delay the phone’s release. Screens are one of the biggest hurdles when manufacturing a phone/tablet. Assembly lines need to be preconfigured to these very specific demands well before the manufacturing starts. Not to mention about preordering the components. These factories are usually fully booked all the time, so missing a manufacturing deadline can delay product for months and it eats all the possible profit.

Jolla Tablet is a prime example of such failure where they had to change some major parts in their device two times (both times were even things that were not under their control). These setbacks eventually drainer the company from money. In the end, they were able to provide a tablet to some of their customers, but most were offered a refund of some sorts.

Not only that, but fxtec is pretty much creating pre-orders for this phone with these specific “looks” in mind. If they were to change those, we do not know how many “silent” customers would dropout. Gimmick or not, it’s still quite big part of the product they are trying to sell. In addition, if they were to keep the design, but decreased the screen size (since flat screen would need to be smaller to fit), it would a point where buyer might either refund or cancel their orders. Not to mention that these new versions would require some sort of prototyping versions. Pretty much now since shipment is planned to start on July.

There are multiple other smaller points, but these are little bit major ones. I don’t want to sound mean, but it’s different to ask changes to some not-so “impactful” parts like keyboard, but changes that alter either the look of the phone, significantly increase manufacturing cost or have a change of delaying the launch are most likely not going to happen.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

….but changes that alter either the look of the phone, significantly increase manufacturing cost or have a change of delaying the launch are most likely not going to happen.

I totally agree with you. I think the “door” to all this opened as they said that it was their intention to replace the screen with a different one than the one that was on the prototypes presented in Barcelona during MWC. But this was back in February, So I would be very surprised if they here in April had not long settled on a specific display – and likely have been preparing the production for it too. And if that was a principal different type of display, I’m pretty sure we would have heard more on it. Though it could be ever so slightly thicker/thinner or larger/smaller than what was on the prototypes.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.