Curved screen… please no!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 163

To be totally clear.
    I am quite happy with the phone as it is.
    I am aware that it is impossible to change the screen now. Of course. And if they would I would say: “Well thats way too late. It is gonna get problems”.
    And I also know that i can’t know for sure which version would be cheaper for fx.

All I say at the moment is: It is unlikely to be cheaper (but possible) and they should go for a flat screen in the next iteration (in my opinion).

The reason why I am keeping this Issue alive is because I want to understand the decision. I am keen to know if there are any real advantages of the curved screen. I may even be wrong. But it seems to me, that it was a “we want to make clear, that the phone has a keyboard AND is modern”-decision. That may or may not be a stupid decision but it is fine. If this is the biggest design flaw of the phone it will be the best phone out there (all other phones have the no-keyboard-slider-flaw).

But this Forum is for Feedback. And my Feedback is: a curved screen is useless in my opinion. And i gonna buy it anyway.
    I am not a young social-media-troll who demands stuff from companies. I am an grown-ass smarty-pants which throws around his opinion no matter if anybody wants to hear it ;-)

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Testdevice
    TeZtdevice
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 54

+1 for curved screens

I love it !!!
    Don´t change the screen.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 744

…But this Forum is for Feedback…

Exactly, and I hope it did not seem I wanted to stop the discussion.
    As it is for sure valuable input to how a next generation (that I hope will come) should be in say a year or two.

We are at the same pace I think. Would personally prefer a screen with protective bezels. BUT if curved screens can wheel in more buyers, then fine with me. As with the keyboard trying to monetize the “prefer”, I would not pay £200 more to get it with a flat screen, but £50 I would.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    georgepatton1945
    Joakim
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 21

Seems like the pre-production screens are here:

4 users thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Seems like the pre-production screens are here:

Unboxing time! Getting our new screen ready for a small production run of the Pro1. We’ve upgraded the screen of the Pro1 to the same supplier as Huawei’s folding phone. More updates over the next week. #Pro1 #FunctionisKey #qwerty #hwkb #fxtec pic.twitter.com/a2sOABRgXR

— F(x)tec (@thefxtec) April 20, 2019

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Yup and from the number on the display (BF060Y8M-AJ0-7702), we can see that it is the one used also on “Elephone U Pro”, see e.g. this. And there already are screen protectors for that one – so one concern less. :)

PS: It should even be Gorilla Glass 5. That is not 3 as the early preproduction units.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    IraSeigel
    IraSeigel
    Participant
    Replies: 2

Yup and from the number on the display (BF060Y8M-AJ0-7702), we can see that it is the one used also on “Elephone U Pro”, see e.g. this. And there already are screen protectors for that one – so one concern less. :)

Could you please provide a link to that screen protector? Thanks.

dave
    dave
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Hi FXTec,

I just canceld my pre-order, let me shortly explain why….
    There is only talk on this forum, no action, and I dont see anymore news.
    Only talking on this forum about the pro’s and con’s won’t do the job for anybody.
    The people have spoken for and against a curved screen, I hope you take this customer feedback and do something with it.
    I have read this forum now multiple times over and over.
    I dont like the waste of time and that you guys dont listen, only making things more complex.
    The choise is still very simple.. as soon the PDA is on the market (still taking a looong time) I will test it, hold it, look if there are handeling-issues or video not showing properly, or a few mm of useless screen space, with a curved screen and then I will make a dissicion.
    So, for now I’m out.
    Good luck with your company

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Could you please provide a link to that screen protector? Thanks.

Ah well just did a little search on Google and ebay for “Elephone U PRO“, and ordered a couple of each of these three variants. 1, 2 & 3
    But there are several others vendors out there, and I have NO idea if the ones I bought are good or bad. So not endorsing them, just picked at random, to be sure I had some protection from day one.

Note that none of the ones I found are curved tempered glass. So I hope F(x)tec (or perhaps Elephone?) would entice someone to make curved tempered glass protectors for them.

Testdevice
    TeZtdevice
    Participant
    Replies: 54

Hi FXTec,

Only talking on this forum about the pro’s and con’s won’t do the job for anybody.

The people have spoken for and against a curved screen, I hope you take this customer feedback and do something with it.

I dont like the waste of time and that you guys dont listen, only making things more complex.

The choise is still very simple.. as soon the PDA is on the market (still taking a looong time) I will test it, hold it, look if there are handeling-issues or video not showing properly, or a few mm of useless screen space, with a curved screen and then I will make a dissicion.

So, for now I’m out.

Why??
    The phone will be released in July.
    At this moment, one of the fxtec members is at Taipei to check the production. You can see the actually tweets.
    Just relaxed… you ordered but didn’t pay the bill :-)
    Everyone who ordered the phone will it asap, however it’s a new company, new phone with missed function… let the dream alive with your preorder. ;-)

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Hi FXTec,

So, for now I’m out.

Would be interesting to know what you expected from a forum just a few months before release. Did you expect that we could influence any substantial hardware changes at this late stage?
    I think that we might influence a bit on things like the print on the keys (see e.g. the thread on the German QWERTZ keyboard)
    And we might be able to influence the software, if we can come up with some useful ideas, that are not too far from what they already have made.

Many of the wishes for how things could be different hardware-wise, I see that as input for a Pro2 (if they will make one).

Once we got the device in our hands, the forum is likely to be more active. Hopefully there are not too many bugs, But the forum could help out with collecting info on known bugs, and perhaps sharing workarounds until fixed.

I also expect that there will be something for sharing different keyboard layouts (complete or partial ones).

And in general feedback or questions on how to get the most of the device. e.g. recommend apps especially well suited for landscape keyboard devices.

….But that said, I’m not a twitter-guy, and would MUCH prefer to have the tweets duplicated in here -as they did with the early news-letters- so I did not need to use that silly platform to get the info. I hate Twitter almost as much as fakebooks.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    sic_zer0
    netman
    Participant
    Replies: 196

I do agree with EskeRahn here, also there’s a lot of action and listening here compared to the “competition” as far as that exists.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    kashif
    kashif
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 21

Well i dont understand why so many are not happy with curve screen and looks like it has the largest number of posts.

I think curved screen is a good choice. it can be used very efficiently for pulling side menus, maybe displaying side notifications and would also gives a smooth swiping experience.

I currently also have galaxy note 8 besides Nokia E7. i can tell you that galaxy note 8 with curved screen feels much better and works much better with swiping and fingers. and it also does look nice.

doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant

Well i dont understand why so many are not happy with curve screen and looks like it has the largest number of posts.

I think curved screen is a good choice. it can be used very efficiently for pulling side menus, maybe displaying side notifications and would also gives a smooth swiping experience.

I currently also have galaxy note 8 besides Nokia E7. i can tell you that galaxy note 8 with curved screen feels much better and works much better with swiping and fingers. and it also does look nice.

To be fair, the galaxy note 8 is way newer than the nokia E7. In these 6 years touchscreens have evolved a lot. Haptic feedback is way better, they are faster, smoother and so on. To put this on the curved screen is most certainly wrong.

I completely agree with you that it could be used efficiently with special functions for the curved part. But until now I do not see anything like that.

The drawbacks however are known and clear. that makes it hard for some people to understand the decision. But we will have to see, maybe the curved screen will be great.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

To be fair, the galaxy note 8 is way newer than the nokia E7. In these 6 years touchscreens have evolved a lot. Haptic feedback is way better, they are faster, smoother and so on. To put this on the curved screen is most certainly wrong.

I completely agree with you that it could be used efficiently with special functions for the curved part. But until now I do not see anything like that.

The drawbacks however are known and clear. that makes it hard for some people to understand the decision. But we will have to see, maybe the curved screen will be great.

As said earlier I see that on one hand a flat screen with substantial mechanical metal bezels would be better protected on edge impacts.
    On the other that would (keeping all else the same) require a lesser display area and make the device about 1mm thicker, thus making it look even more of something out of the past. And my GUESS would be that the guys designing this after careful considerations have decided in favour of the edged design.
    Remember that for many people looks is still a big thing (fashion in clothing is strangely important for a LOT of people). So if they felt the looks to be embarrassingly old fashioned, that just MIGHT lead to some not buying it, despite wanting a real keyboard. On the other hand, I doubt that many would feel the edges so much a deal breaker that this would stop them from buying it.

I do not know of any functional benefits of a curved screen on Android though, but as I understand Sailfish there might be some here.

I DO hope they will make some software/firmware solution that would allow the users having problems with grip and edges to seletc zones ignoring touch. Perhaps not from day one, but if enough people would report is as a real problem.

doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant

On the other that would (keeping all else the same) require a lesser display area and make the device about 1mm thicker, thus making it look even more of something out of the past. And my GUESS would be that the guys designing this after careful considerations have decided in favour of the edged design.

Agreed.
    As I am thinking (and unfortunately for you writing) a lot about that, I rather think it isn’t stupid. If it would have a flat screen it would look like the Nokia N900 back then. I still would prefer that look, but as a company you wouldn’t want to have the looks compared to an old phone in the reviews.

Sadly most of the reviews seem to focus quite heavy on the old CPU. Which in my opinion is not that important for 99% of the users. But still leaves the impression of an outdated phone.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2019 FX Technology Limited. Company Number 11602958