Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    daan.gruijters
    bibskin
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Good to see there is dual sim support! I’m wondering if there will be a specific implementation for supporting dual apps like whatsapp (which requires a unique mobile phone number to start). I’m not a dual sim phone user yet but I can’t find anything about stock android 9.0 supporting dual apps. Most dual sim phones have support for it via a brand specific implementation (Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, Asus, Huawei), will this also be the case for the new Pro1 device?

Keep up the good work!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    allan.laal
    allan.laal
    Participant
    Replies: 11

dual sim is only useful if you dont have to break your phones disk into 2 parts to use it

usually I use my second sim, when abroad
    when abroad, I really need to use extended storage for offline navigation, filming, photos

allan.laal
    allan.laal
    Participant

+1

allan.laal
    allan.laal
    Participant

I’m a long time dual SIM user (currently on my second LG G4 Dual)

most app devs seem not to be aware there could be multiple sims, so they default to the first (slot 0)
    on the LG’s ROM you can choose which SIM is for the data connection

daan.gruijters
    bibskin
    Participant

I’m a long time dual SIM user (currently on my second LG G4 Dual)

most app devs seem not to be aware there could be multiple sims, so they default to the first (slot 0)

on the LG’s ROM you can choose which SIM is for the data connection

App cloning is something that the OS should support

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 392

App cloning is something that the OS should support

For some apps that approach might work well, but not for others. Unless they are aware what is going on so some data can be shared between the clones.

daan.gruijters
    bibskin
    Participant

So I guess the device does not come with functionality for app cloning like for example Blackberry Android devices?

jason
    DW
    Participant
    Replies: 75

So I guess the device does not come with functionality for app cloning like for example Blackberry Android devices?

Not seen that option on my keyone :D then again only got 1 sim in at the moment.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

There are multiple app cloner apps on the market, some free, and some with millions of users. I have no idea if one will be pre installed.
    A very popular choice is “Parallel Space” with over 100millions downloads, and 3.6M reviews giving it a 4.6 score. might be worth a try.

But if you ask if there will be a specially customized version of Android with the functionality added, I doubt it. If I understand correctly they specifically want it to be a “Pure Android experience”, with a few apps added to ease the usage in Landscape compared to native Android, but none you are ‘forced’ to use.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Waxberry
    Waxberry
    Keymaster
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 93

I found app cloning being a popular feature inside Chinese firmware (i.e No google play services)

As Pro1 targeting to be “As stock Android as possible” and fully Google certified, I am not sure if this can be legally added. (Technically there is no problem)

Because some apps and services like Whatsapp may have T&C not allowing such action, so we suggest leaving it to individual users. :)

7 users thanked author for this post.
    donanobispacem777
    donanobispacem777
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 2

As someone has international business to do, I would definitely support dual or even triple SIM.

Slion
    Slion
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 22

Surely DUAL SIM support is baked in stock Android. I doubt fxtec has the resources to implement that themselves.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Surely DUAL SIM support is baked in stock Android. I doubt fxtec has the resources to implement that themselves.

For the principal functionality, I’m sure you are right. But it seems that not all apps handle it equally well. e.g. apps ‘locking’ to a specific phone number. Hence the popularity of the cloning apps.

You might want to use the same account with two phone numbers if you operate in a border region, and would avoid roaming.
    Or it could be a work&private scenario, where you would like things separated.

MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant
    Replies: 57

I really want seamless integration of Dual-SIM. I currently have an LG G6 H870DS where the dual-SIM works so effortlessly good. I can constantly receive messages and calls to both SIMs, and when I want to call/SMS I can quickly just choose which SIM to use by dragging down the notification menu. I have Whatsapp coupled to one of my SIMs, and my everyday use number and mobile network on the other SIM. Does not need to be any more complicated than that. K.I.S.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

I really want seamless integration of Dual-SIM. I currently have an LG G6 H870DS where the dual-SIM works so effortlessly good. I can constantly receive messages and calls to both SIMs, and when I want to call/SMS I can quickly just choose which SIM to use by dragging down the notification menu. I have Whatsapp coupled to one of my SIMs, and my everyday use number and mobile network on the other SIM. Does not need to be any more complicated than that. K.I.S.

Well if someone live near a border or frequently travel between two countries, they just MIGHT want apps such as WhatApp to work on both numbers, and as some apps can not, the cloning comes in play as a workaround. I have no idea what of your G6 experence that are core Android, and what LG should be credited for – let’s hope that most is build into android.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.