Hello and questions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    glumreaper
    Aled Lewis
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 18

Hi folks,

Just placed my order yesterday after thinking about it for quite a while. I love the idea of the Pro1, and am getting quite excited for it. I actually still have my Desire-Z, fully working but not much used nowadays.

I have a couple of questions I’ve not seen the answers to yet, so thought them worth mentioning.

I really think this is a yes, but does anyone know if the phone operating in ‘closed’ mode will have standard Android on-screen keyboards? It just occurred to me to wonder. The physical keyboard is obviously the key reason to have the phone, but there will be many times when only a single word or so is needed, and it’d be clunky to have to flip the phone around for it.

Secondly, I know there’s a physical shutter button, but does anyone know if this will be a shortcut to launching the camera when the screen is off, like on Xperia phones? Maybe that’s standard Android and it’ll be present, but it’d feel like something missing if not.

Thanks!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Noir
    Noir
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 82

Welcome aboard,

of course there will be the on-screen keyboard available if the phone is not opened, be it landscape or portrait mode. The desire Z does have the same feature, just as any other keyboard phone where the physical board can be ‘hidden’.

I don’t have a definitive answer on the camerabutton-question, EskeRahn should be the first to answer this question based on a pre-production model. Or anyone who attendet the London-Event?

4 users thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 744

Secondly, I know there’s a physical shutter button, but does anyone know if this will be a shortcut to launching the camera when the screen is off, like on Xperia phones? Maybe that’s standard Android and it’ll be present, but it’d feel like something missing if not.

@noir, thanks for already answering :)

Yes, a double click on the power button can be used to access the camera.:)
    But if it is locked with code, it (at the least currently) requires you to move the finger 2cm from the power button to the fingerprint sensor..
    I do not know if there is a way to have it act in ‘locked’ mode, with write only option. But as the fingerprint sensor is between the power button and the camera button, it is quite natural to unlock while moving the index finger,

3 users thanked author for this post.
    glumreaper
    Aled Lewis
    Participant

Thanks guys! I wondered about the camera button because I currently use an Xperia, and I take a lot of photos with it (mainly of my kids!) The operation with the camera button makes it so easy and quick, I love it: reach into my pocket, locate the shutter button by feel, hold it for a second (until it vibrates) to launch the camera as I bring the phone up and I’m taking pictures. It’s been funny in the past I’ve ended up trying to photograph something at the same time as an iPhone user, and I’ve already snapped half a dozen shots while they’re still fiddling with their screen, having had to look away to open the camera.

Anyway it’s probably not a deal-breaker for me with the Pro1, but I thought it worth asking.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    sic_zer0
    netman
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 196

Thanks guys! I wondered about the camera button because I currently use an Xperia, and I take a lot of photos with it (mainly of my kids!) The operation with the camera button makes it so easy and quick, I love it: reach into my pocket, locate the shutter button by feel, hold it for a second (until it vibrates) to launch the camera as I bring the phone up and I’m taking pictures. It’s been funny in the past I’ve ended up trying to photograph something at the same time as an iPhone user, and I’ve already snapped half a dozen shots while they’re still fiddling with their screen, having had to look away to open the camera.

Anyway it’s probably not a deal-breaker for me with the Pro1, but I thought it worth asking.

This is why the camera button also has me excited, fumbling around with touchscreens is frustrating and slow no matter what people tell themselves about it :). I believe launching the camera with a double press of the lock button is a standard feature in vanilla android nowadays (not totally sure but almost all phone’s i’ve touched in the last few years have that), I’ve been used to double-press and then using another button to snap the picture which seems to be fast enough, however a two-stage button is really needed to get the thing to focus when I want it so i’m very happy this is a feature of pro1 :). I’m sure it’ll be possible to get the pro1 to launch camera with a button in some way.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

This is why the camera button also has me excited, fumbling around with touchscreens is frustrating and slow no matter what people tell themselves about it :). I believe launching the camera with a double press of the lock button is a standard feature in vanilla android nowadays (not totally sure but almost all phone’s i’ve touched in the last few years have that), I’ve been used to double-press and then using another button to snap the picture which seems to be fast enough, however a two-stage button is really needed to get the thing to focus when I want it so i’m very happy this is a feature of pro1 :). I’m sure it’ll be possible to get the pro1 to launch camera with a button in some way.

If the same button is used to activate an actually take photos, it gives the risk of quite a number of accidental ‘pocket-shots’…

But I guess it might be handled If one could come up with some clever combo of short&long press to activate it, that was not so complex it was hard to remember, but still would be quite unlikely to happen accidentally. It might also ‘waste’ a fraction of a second checking with the ambient sensor, to detect if it is likely to still be in a pocket, and if so ignore the activation.

glumreaper
    Aled Lewis
    Participant

If the same button is used to activate an actually take photos, it gives the risk of quite a number of accidental ‘pocket-shots’…

In five years of having Xperia phones, this had happened to maybe twice. I think they’ve got the balance just right of how long you have to hold it to activate the camera. The efficient of being able to use it as a camera is well worth that risk, to me.

That having been said one of the times it did it in my pocket, it switched onto video and was recording for about a quarter of an hour before I noticed how worryingly hot my pocket was! 😆

glumreaper
    Aled Lewis
    Participant

however a two-stage button is really needed to get the thing to focus when I want it so i’m very happy this is a feature of pro1 :).

Agreed. This, as much as the speedy, screen-touch-free way of accessing the camera, is what gives a brilliant camera experience. Much as I want the full keyboard, I wouldn’t have gone for the Pro1 if it didn’t have a proper shutter button.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

That having been said one of the times it did it in my pocket, it switched onto video and was recording for about a quarter of an hour before I noticed how worryingly hot my pocket was! 😆

One COULD limit it to photos, simply switching to Photo-mode if started this way, so you would need to explicitly switch to Video – that would be really unlikely to happen by accident in the pocket. :)

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Agreed. This, as much as the speedy, screen-touch-free way of accessing the camera, is what gives a brilliant camera experience. Much as I want the full keyboard, I wouldn’t have gone for the Pro1 if it didn’t have a proper shutter button.

To me it is a pure “nice to have”, very far from a “must have”, but we all use our devices in our own way.

sic_zer0
    netman
    Participant
    Replies: 196

To me it is a pure “nice to have”, very far from a “must have”, but we all use our devices in our own way.

For me it is also a nice to have, the keyboard alone makes me need the device and nice snapdragon chip makes me confident it’ll be great. It’s however an awesome cherry on top making me confident the folks designing the phone are designing something they actually want to use themselves :).

3 users thanked author for this post.
    glumreaper
    Aled Lewis
    Participant

One COULD limit it to photos, simply switching to Photo-mode if started this way, so you would need to explicitly switch to Video – that would be really unlikely to happen by accident in the pocket. :)

Good thinking. Xperias do that with the manual camera modes and camera apps, as well as viewing photos that haven’t been taken in the current camera session. Any of those actions prompts the unlock screen.

Waxberry
    Waxberry
    Keymaster
    Replies: 96

Virtual keyboard will disappear when slider is opened. (You can also choose to keep it if you want in settings)

For camera shutter key, it will act very similarly as Xperia (and a few old Lumia phones): Holding and pressing the shutter button will quickly launch the camera. We are doing more test to improving that button’s hardware to balance the feeling and minimising mis-opening.

8 users thanked author for this post.
    kontakt
    Benjamin
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 12

@waxberry will suggestions still appear, as an extra bar, when the virtual keyboard is hidden?

4 users thanked author for this post.
    glumreaper
    Aled Lewis
    Participant

For camera shutter key, it will act very similarly as Xperia (and a few old Lumia phones): Holding and pressing the shutter button will quickly launch the camera.

That’s just excellent news for me, thanks very much!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2019 FX Technology Limited. Company Number 11602958