How will you use the Pro1?

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dantegi
    dantegi
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

Greetings from wonderful New England everyone!
    I would first like to say thanks a bunch to everyone behind the F(x) Tec Pro1. You have seriously made my dream phone real.

That said, I would like to ask anyone who cares to answer: How do you plan on using the Pro 1.
    I for one will use the device in landscape mode even with the keyboard closed.
    As far as Android goes most apps seam to work fine in landscape. I don’t do the social media apps so I wouldn’t know. But Outlook and many other apps work fine.
    I would love for root access to lock the orientation to always landscape!

Till then I will stick with my always portrait atomic BlackBerry Key2 LE …

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 647

I primarily use my phones/phablets for SMS, and a bit of browsing.

I think I will use it in landscape whenever I need to enter text, and keep it in portrait for utilities such as advanced calculators or playing sudoku.

In my experience not too many apps support Landscape. It was already an issue back in 2011-2012 on my Xperia (Neo) Pro, and it certainly has not become better since…. Lazy programmers!!

But whenever I got more than one available app I consider to use, the first thing I do after install is to rotate the device, and if no landscape-suport I look for alternatives….
    And many apps are not designed for there NOT to be a software keyboard. Many SMS apps only allow a few lines of entry even in portrait (That was a pest with finfdng apps for the BB Priv. Textra is one of those that works well – it is not perfect, but does the job for me.

To me the Key½ is the worst of two worlds. You get a large device and a small display. I never understood why anyone favoured the form factor of the Key½ over the Priv. But there have been long discussions on the pros and cons on CrackBerry, to each their own, and let us keep that discussion over there, amongst those that prefer a keyboard in the ‘wrong’ orientation…. ;-p

sic_zer0
    netman
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 179

Lately i’ve been using my android only as a fancy camera and sending photos to people thing because i always get angry and dread typing more than a word or so with only a touchscreen. So I imagine myself using the pro1 to be able to message people comfortably and be able to look things up on the net and take notes (and photos) when at work as a technician. And I may even use it to take my programming hobby to the bed and couch occasionally if my thumbs can handle that :).

It does not seem all that long ago I used my nokia e72 to message and ssh to my desktop pc and get some small things done, still miss that and I’ve been tempted to get one of the android blackberries but the form factor seems silly and no rooting is kindof a dealbreaker, and attaching a bluetooth keypad to a phone is not really ideal either.

aznfantasystar
    Steven
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 13

Galaxy S Relay 4G Keyboard Layout

When I had a Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G, I made heavy use of the Number Row, dedicated decimal button, and the movement keys. ← ↑ → ↓
    The open nature of Android (i.e rooting) ensured I was able to go into #/system/usr/keylayout and edit in whatever dedicated keys, macros, that I wanted such as greek symbols, math symbols well after Samsung dropped support. You can imagine this made spreadsheet work incredibly mobile. If Livermourium (or F(x) Tech, or f(x)tec) stays true to their word then I’ll be able to return to those glory days of 5 years past; when I finally gave up my aging Galaxy S Relay 4G for a Blackberry KEYone.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 647

Steven, I too hope for open access to the layout, and hopefully even without rooting. And there is a thread also with that here.

zurvan2
    zurvan2
    Participant
    Replies: 8

I’ve used phones with slide-out keyboards before. It’s not an all-or-nothing thing. A lot of the time, I will use it more or less the same way I use a portrait form-factor phone. I will even still use the on-screen keyboard for stuff that is mostly english prose.

I will switch to the keyboard for:

• Complex text like time, dates, figures, or anything where a spell-checker won’t help.
    • ssh using VX ConnectBot
    • games, specifically roguelikes, specifically Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Cataclysm: DDA, and possibly nethack as native android apps
    • Similar games and terminal-based applications via ssh

I also really like the hardware camera button, and will use that quite a bit!

martin.rottensteiner
    martin.rottensteiner
    Participant
    Replies: 3

As realease date is confirmed to be really close now, it is time to bump this thread.
    If the keyoard fits my purpose then I think this phone will suit these use cases better than my old phone:
    – Fotography
    – Text structuring (org mode)
    – Messaging
    – Navigation
    – Youtube

1 user thanked author for this post.
    mv
    marxistvegan
    Participant
    Replies: 3

Hello fellow New Englander!

I too will probably use it more in landscape mode, as I did with the N900. I am also anxious for the SailfishOS support.
    In any case I will likely use it as a phablet and hope to do more work from it so I can leave my laptop at home more often.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2019 FX Technology Limited. Company Number 11602958