How will you use the Pro1?

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    storyworks
    Hook
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 109

I never got around to answering this question. I have always wanted a keyboard phone, but haven’t had any except my work issued Blackberries (and nothing recent even there). One reason was timing– I always seemed to have a good phone that I couldn’t justify replacing when a keyboard phone was available. The other reason was that, although I loved the concept, they were mostly too small for my hands to use easily.

I am looking forward to having a phone I can actually type on. I am a writer (not of any note, I just like to write) and I look forward to not just being able to read notes and research, but to be able to write notes, even long ones, do some light editing if the thought occurs to me when I’m out and about, write longer, more thoughtful emails– to have a real text entry computer in my pocket wherever I am and wherever the muse hits me.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    paulconstant
    PC
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 11

I’ll probably use the keyboard at every opportunity. Even if just writing a short message. I hate using touchscreens. I’d almost be tempted to disable the touchcreen completey if it were possible in Android. But then I guess the phone would need some kind of track pad and a mouse cursor on screen. Which I wouldn’t be against to be honest. This thing will be an absolute joy to use.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    mathiasp
    Mathias Picker
    Participant
    Replies: 2

I’m pretty much tied to termux with emacs and org-mode for all my planning, calendaring and most of my documentatin and personal knowledge management.
    While it is already great to use with the fantastic Messagease keyboard (after some learning time), I miss the screen space, and esp. in landscape mode there’s not much left from the content…

I’m just now experimenting with using triple stores into my KM setup via org-mode code blocks, and there I get lots of wide ouput right now which sort of requires landscape, and thus a physical keyboard.

It will also save me from carrying a surface go around to be able to log into my servers if something unexpected happens.

So, I *really* hope the keyboard works for this. I’m allready very happy with my emacs setup and org information/tasking/calendaring system, both synced via git to my desktop and laptop, but I hope it will get even better!

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 744

So, I *really* hope the keyboard works for this. I’m allready very happy with my emacs setup and org information/tasking/calendaring system, both synced via git to my desktop and laptop, but I hope it will get even better!

If you do a search for termux in here, you will see that I already checked. And it seems to work just fine https://www.fxtec.com/forums/search/termux/

mathiasp
    Mathias Picker
    Participant
    Replies: 2

If you do a search for termux in here, you will see that I already checked. And it seems to work just fine https://www.fxtec.com/forums/search/termux/

I did, and I’m hopeful, but Emacs uses quite a few key combos, and in my experience some of them might not work as expected. I have an LG Rolly keyboard, and while almost all key combos work, a few really important ones do not. If I remember correctly Alt-X does not work for some reason, it sends a totally different key code. I need to use ESC x which is slower and tends to return to the home screen. As a result, I do use it much less than I hoped I would. Actually, I think I haven’t used it for a year…
    So, until I can test it, I just hope that the keyboard on the Pro1 works for emacs ;)

Cheers, Mathias

devourer
    Raksura
    Participant
    Replies: 4

I’d like the Pro1 to replace my bulky laptop in addition to upgrading my phone.
    I would love to see if it is possible to install Gentoo Prefix on a phone OS that uses the Linux kernel. I expect this to let me rely on the phone OS for anything related to my usual phone usage (GPS, SMS/MMS, camera, phone), yet have a very large native UNIX userland (web browser, vim, latex, emulators, etc… without the performance cost of remote display). I am going to give Sailfish OS a go, just to see if that fits the bill.

sic_zer0
    netman
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 196

I’d like the Pro1 to replace my bulky laptop in addition to upgrading my phone.

I would love to see if it is possible to install Gentoo Prefix on a phone OS that uses the Linux kernel. I expect this to let me rely on the phone OS for anything related to my usual phone usage (GPS, SMS/MMS, camera, phone), yet have a very large native UNIX userland (web browser, vim, latex, emulators, etc… without the performance cost of remote display). I am going to give Sailfish OS a go, just to see if that fits the bill.

vim, latex and most linux commandline things you could want can be used in termux under android, even browser and emulators if you install a VNC or X11 server app but those will hog the battery quite a bit and the X11 servers i tried so far aren’t great (VNC with Xvnc server seems to be the better way).
    If maemo or ubuntu phone end up getting ported to the Pro1 one of those would probably suit your needs, maybe sailfish does too though.

peter3
    ynari
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

I’ll be using it for everything, I hate using virtual keyboards. It’s especially useful for e-mails, and IM conversations.

I might play a little nethack too, although it was quite awkward to play on the Priv, and there’s some excellent mobile games out there which rarely use the keyboard.

theo.hallenius
    theo.hallenius
    Participant

I only have 2 working phones right now that I use on a daily basis, N900 and the original Jolla phone. (not counting bricked Galaxy Mini, N950 with leaked screen and some old Huawei)
    N900 might have been a dream phone 5-10 years ago but times have changed. It’s browsing capabilities are practically non-existent, app selection is lacking, security is lacking, I can go on forever.
    Jolla is one of those phones I wish I never bought, it was alright at that time but it aged very quickly. Now I’m stuck with an outdated Android 4.1.1 that can’t run essential daily apps (identity apps, banking apps, wallet apps) and Sailfish OS is lacking so much I can’t even block unwanted calls. I also recently received my hardware wallet FuzeW but in order to use it I need an android device with at least Android 5.

My choice for 2019-2020? FxTec Pro1, which I pre-ordered nearly immediately after it went viral. I’m so used to N900 and it’s keyboard that it felt like the right phone for me, and since I also have an N950 prototype I already know how solid the build quality will be. Now that I paid for my pre-order I can’t wait for it to arrive, but delays are killing me..

zielinski0michal
    3zet
    Participant
    Replies: 7

Skin issues, which even when I’m cured, capacitive screens still does not work with my fingers.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    jtrenchard
    jtrenchard
    Participant

I plan to use mine to chat on IRC and use text-relay services to make calls. Such a pain on a touchscreen! The pro1 looks like a godsend – I’ve been without a keyboard phone since my imported sidekick 4g gave up the ghost, and not a day goes by where I don’t miss it.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2019 FX Technology Limited. Company Number 11602958