Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Waxberry
    Waxberry
    Keymaster
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 95

During recent work we noticed that under Android system the “ALT” key will bring emoji by default.

How about removing “SYM” key then using ALT key for emoji, but replacing SYM key with search key. So we can enable some default Android shortcuts with search key.

search shortcuts

What do you think?

P.S: The launcher will sooner support long press a physical key to launch custom app.

rinrailin
    rinrailin
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Waxberry, As far as I remember, SYM key was usefull too. Maybe it would be better to replace right Ctrl key with search key? And maybe you can post here a schema of Pro1’s keys layout?

VaZso
    VaZso
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 55

For me, I need a modifier key to be able to type language-specific characters (á,é,í,ó,ö,ő,ú,ü,ű) and their capital version.
    It is also good to have Alt / Ctrl keys to be used with software.

I don’t know if SYM or “Search” key is more useful as I don’t know their functionality in Android.
    However, “Search” function may be reachable as a second function of a button – am I right?

kontakt
    Benjamin
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 12

I think it would be best to make it user-configurable, if this is possible.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 517

Though search is a nice feature it is way too unimportant to have a dedicated key for. IMHO

And as Benjamin said above: “User-configurable” please. :)

Generally I do not like the idea of any ‘action’ by a single key (And this goes for the F-logo key too…)
    Simply because the relative small keys inevitably will lead to accidental key-strokes. But where pressing the wrong letter is easily remedied by backspace, launching search (or anything else) requires a close of the program/function, that is not easily done from the keyboard, (though some might be reacting well to Esc)

I remember one of the slider keyboard cases I used for the aPple Iphone 6-, had a square key, that gave the home screen. And I cursed it every time to an extend where I dropped it in favour of another where the same square was at a Fn-level.

So I would suggest that (calling the yellow arrow Fn here) ALL actions/launches should be with a modifier only. E.g. Fn+Logo for launching the suite, Fn+Q for launching search (a capital Q both looking a bit like a magnifying glass and being the first letter of Question).

And it will be elegant if people can assign short cut actions to key-combos of their preference. For some “Search” would mean search the device, for others it could be launching their favourite search engine in their default browser, (Personally I never use a search on the device, but others use it a lot)

Personally multpile modifier keys would be great, to give access to a range of layouts, to ease the access of foreign language characters and all kind of symbols, including emojis.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    VaZso
    VaZso
    Participant
    Replies: 55

@eskerahn, yes, I think search is better to be called using a modifier button.

Also, I have used ctrl + shift + x combination on my N900 to call the terminal several times, so a similar function to launch apps is a good thing, although it is a software issue.
    …but if a specific key on the keyboard can be programmed to lauch applications (by a combination of that key and another one), especially if the phone has a software written by the team to specify which apps to launch, that would be a good thing to everyone.

alex.ruediger
    elvissteinjr
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 32

I personally don’t care for either function, but I’d love to keep away from anything that dumps the Google Assistant into my face. It’s bad enough that by default that thing launches when long holding the virtual home button on stock Android. So if there’s this Search button thingy, make it configurable so it can actually be useful, please.

sic_zer0
    netman
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 147

Yes for me also google assistant is just a joke. Remapping via xposed framework or alike is always possible, but it’d be really nice if it can be also done without root.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Totally agree with you elvissteinjr and netman (again)

AnnieC
    AnnieC
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 7

For me, I need a modifier key to be able to type language-specific characters (á,é,í,ó,ö,ő,ú,ü,ű) and their capital version.

I’d like that as well. I’m really hoping that we will have the option to customize the keyboard in any way we want.

david
    david
    Participant
    Replies: 64

EskeRahn – I agree about default keys that launch apps. I have the same frustration with some of the keys on my Galaxy S Relay 4G. Allowing people to program single or multiple key presses to do whatever they want is a good idea. I’m of the opinion that a default, single key app launch on the physical keyboard isn’t a good idea, unless it is a long press, so that it isn’t accidentally triggered when typing.

As for the original question, it would help to have some pictures of the keyboard with before and after versions to get an idea of what is being proposed.

Waxberry
    Waxberry
    Keymaster
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 95

Just a quick heads up about what we planned to do with the Sym key:

We are working with a new entry in setting, under such user can choose the characters that show up on-screen when sym key is pressed. So everyone can have their commonly used local symbols in Sym key.

(And yes, sym key will be kept, and its content shall be user definable)

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Craig
    Craig
    Participant
    Replies: 68

Sounds like you found a good use of that SYM key.

I strongly think you should get rid of those two diaganol arrow buttons . They don’t seem to serve any purpose. Shift functions of numbers and symbols should be accomplished with the Shift key like a real keyboard. Replace the one on the right with a slash/questiohmark dedicated key like a real keyboard.

That F-key is an additional modifier that perhaps could be user customized too unless there’s another purpose. F-key with the numbers should function as F1/F2 etc like a keyboard.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Sounds like you found a good use of that SYM key.

I strongly think you should get rid of those two diaganol arrow buttons . They don’t seem to serve any purpose. Shift functions of numbers and symbols should be accomplished with the Shift key like a real keyboard. Replace the one on the right with a slash/questiohmark dedicated key like a real keyboard.

That F-key is an additional modifier that perhaps could be user customized too unless there’s another purpose. F-key with the numbers should function as F1/F2 etc like a keyboard.

Uh please don’t !!
    I accidentally ‘thanked’ your post, but STRONGLY disagrees with the removal of the arrows. They could name them in stead like “Fn” or “AltGr” “Alt”, but I would like it to have all these ‘modifier’ keys, to allow us to have easy access to a variety of layouts.

But If I have my way it will be possible to remap even modifier keys for direct usage, for those that like you would prefer this. I hope for maximal flexibility in how we can use the keys to fit each users wishes as much as possible.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Craig
    Craig
    Participant
    Replies: 68

Uh please don’t !!

I accidentally ‘thanked’ your post, but STRONGLY disagrees with the removal of the arrows. They could name them in stead like “Fn” or “Alt”, but I would like it to have all these ‘modifier’ keys, to allow us to have easy access to a variety of layouts.

But If I have my way it will be possible to remap even modifier keys for direct usage, for those that like you would prefer this. I hope for maximal flexibility in how we can use the keys to fit each users wishes as much as possible.

There is already a function key which I assume you can use as a modifier for everything except # keys. And there’s an alt key, which other than pulling up emoji when pressed by itself, can be used as a modifer for all the other keys. And the symbol key that you can use as a modifier for national-letters/symbols/etc. Do you really need a fourth modifier key?!?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.