Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Craig
    Craig
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 21

Uh please don’t !!

I accidentally ‘thanked’ your post, but STRONGLY disagrees with the removal of the arrows. They could name them in stead like “Fn” or “Alt”, but I would like it to have all these ‘modifier’ keys, to allow us to have easy access to a variety of layouts.

But If I have my way it will be possible to remap even modifier keys for direct usage, for those that like you would prefer this. I hope for maximal flexibility in how we can use the keys to fit each users wishes as much as possible.

If you renamed them fn and alt, you’d just be duplicating keys that are already there, at least at the keyboard I’m looking at on the fxtec home page.

There is already an F- key which I assume you can use as a modifier for everything except # keys. And there’s already an ALT-key, which other than pulling up emoji when pressed by itself, can be used as a modifer for all the other keys. And the SYM-key that you can use as a modifier for national-letters/symbols/etc as described in the post before mine.

Do you really need a fourth modifier key?!? If it wasn’t there, then there would be space for the missing slash/questionmark key and no more need to use it, all keys (including numbers and synmbols) could then be their normal qwerty shift function. Are you really really sure you need that fourth modifier key, at the expense of it behaving like a regular keyboard instead?

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 291

If you renamed them fn and alt, you’d just be duplicating keys that are already there, at least at the keyboard I’m looking at on the fxtec home page.

There is already an F- key which I assume you can use as a modifier for everything except # keys. And there’s already an ALT-key, which other than pulling up emoji when pressed by itself, can be used as a modifer for all the other keys. And the SYM-key that you can use as a modifier for national-letters/symbols/etc as described in the post before mine.

Do you really need a fourth modifier key?!? If it wasn’t there, then there would be space for the missing slash/questionmark key and no more need to use it, all keys (including numbers and synmbols) could then be their normal qwerty shift function. Are you really really sure you need that fourth modifier key, at the expense of it behaving like a regular keyboard instead?

Sorry meant “AltGr” not “Alt”.
    As I said, I hope for flexibility so those of us that wants a lot of modifier options can get it, and those that want more regular keys can get that too. I doubt they are hard wired to any function, so just a matter of the software allowing the flexibility.

I hope that the geeks among us can make several different ‘packages’ of layout-combinations, for sharing, and then each user can chose what fit them the best, and hopefully the program for it will be so easy to use so it does not require much skills to modify at will. Hopefully not even rooting.

doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 71

They could name them in stead like “Fn” or “AltGr”.

Yeah I know I seem to be the only one to use “AltGr” but it is a must. There is a reason it is a different key than “alt” and removing a modifier key is always a pain. Keeping it close to the PC-Layout also means it will be easier to use a different OS.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

They could name them in stead like “Fn” or “AltGr”.

Yeah I know I seem to be the only one to use “AltGr” but it is a must. There is a reason it is a different key than “alt” and removing a modifier key is always a pain. Keeping it close to the PC-Layout also means it will be easier to use a different OS.

It is much a matter of how the national layout is made. You almost never need it with a US layout. But In Danish you need the AltGr all the time to get to vital symbols such as

@ £ $ { [ ] } | € \ and the accent key ~

And it is similar for other languages.
    (But personally I could not care less if it is marked by a yellow arrow, “Fn”, “AltGr” or whatever)

Actually the tedious frequent use is one of the reasons why I normally use the US layout (except when typing Danish text where we need ÆØÅ).

(Back in the eighties I made a completely customizable DOS keyboard driver, used to the effect of having a standard US layout, and ÆØÅ on their ‘standard’ positions combined with a modifier key, and a shortcut for quick language swap – that was the ideal layout for me, And it used way way less memory than the one provided with DOS)

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

I accidentally ‘thanked’ your post,

New “Remove thanks” button, to handle accidental clicks. Nice :)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Craig
    Craig
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 21

Ok, fair enough. But there’s two of them. Keep the left one for AltGr. The right one can be made slash/questionmark. Then shift can be used like normal and no need to use AltGr/arrowkey for standard US layout (other than custom modifiers, etc) as all labeled keys will be accessible with shift like US keyboard.

I just want shift to behave normal and to have a dedicated slash/questionmark key. So when it’s a letter, shift makes capitol, if a number/symbol then shift makes it do whatever else is displayed on the key. Like every other keyboard I’ve ever used.

[This reminds me of something that happened to me years ago. My password at the time was a combination of letters and shifted numbers, and I never paid attention to what symbols they were (i remembered my password like abc-shift-123). I was at the Narita airport in Japan and they had a free computer lounge with free internet and I wanted to check my email, etc, but the keyboard had different symbols on the numbers and I couldn’t figure out my password… without a picture of a US keyboard, and by the time I found one my time was up.]

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.