Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    schmittlauch
    schmittlauch
    Participant

Currently the Pro¹ is only available with a US international QWERTY layout. I’m sure many people are interested in getting their native keyboard layout instead, while at the same time Livermorium probably has to be careful about which layouts to offer at first.
    Thus I suggest a possibility to preorder the phone under the condition that it is available with a certain keyboard layout within a certain time. This mechanism can serve as a voting about which layouts are most popular at the same time, providing some data to the Livermorium folks on which layouts to concentrate on.

Testdevice
    TeZtdevice
    Participant

+1
    Great! I love votings :-)

Wheeljack
    Wheeljack
    Participant

+1
    I’m on the brink of pre-ordering but I really don’t want QWERTY.

dreamflasher
    dreamflasher
    Participant

+1
    yes please, do that!

Mischael
    Mischael
    Participant

+1

thomas_d
    thomas_d
    Participant

+1

jonkinnunen
    Jon
    Participant

+1

duffmanbeer1987
    duffmanbeer1987
    Participant

+1, i’d rather get an azerty keyboard for my French usage! ;()

dreamflasher
    dreamflasher
    Participant

Any thoughts from the team?

OliverTypes
    OliverTypes
    Participant

+1

manaofujiwara
    manaofujiwara
    Participant

+1

aznfantasystar
    Steven
    Participant

I think this is a bad idea. This is because the previous Moto Z Keyboard Mod never made it past production-stage, due to the low volume count. Offering additional selection means additional inventory needs to be produced. It does sound pro-consumer to offer choice/variety, but is this worth putting the entire Pro1 at risk? The expenses also includes product support such that producing a product is not the bulk of the expense: it is the product support that is the money sink. That said, it would be nice to get a better picture of the cost, so reasonable requests can be made.

cairy
    cairy
    Participant

+1

alex.ruediger
    elvissteinjr
    Participant

If they think they can deliver alternative layouts, let them try. The moto mod didn’t exactly fail just because of low volume.
    I can’t recall all details from top of my head, but stuff that took part in it it was the Moto team being unresponsive, relocated and like half laid off; parts reaching end of life/end up being very hard to source (concerning parts required for Moto Mod functionality); the Transform the Smartphone Challenge prize money never being paid out; etc.
    Some of that may not be 100% accurate, but to think it failed because of the layout versions that were never made in the end is a bit odd.

It’s not nothing, but it’s pretty much a different print + software keymapping. That’s not free, but most likely won’t make the project die.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.