Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 39

As an indirect continuation on this discussion (https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/alternative-layouts/), here is a poll for investigating the actual demand on different keyboard layouts:

[EDIT: New link, please vote again, see this post below]

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5cd98900e4b01977b196d014

Please only fill in one reply per person!

To the devs: You are welcome!

6 users thanked author for this post.
    doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant
    Replies: 71

Please add Swiss (QWERTZ) and US-International to the selections.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 291

It would be better with some priority. As I got several I could use with little difference in preference – note we are talking PRINT only.
    (To get the keys returning what matches the users preferences should be the easy part)

My priority for PRINT would be with estimated percentages

25 Danish
      23 Scandinavian, (multi-print or any of Swe/Nor)
      20 US (non-shifted)
      15 German-QWERTZ
      12 US All four rows shifted
      5 US A-Z shifted only
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant

Please add Swiss (QWERTZ) and US-International to the selections.

Apparently I cannot edit a poll that has already gotten responses.

Here’s a link to the new poll with SWISS and US International options. But then everyone has to re-vote.

Moderator, could you please edit the link in my original post to the new one, but still keep this post to explain what has happened?

Thanks!

NEW POLL: http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5cd98900e4b01977b196d014

Also, why the hell are there multiple US and UK keyboard layouts? WHY?

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Moderator, could you please edit the link in my original post to the new one, but still keep this post to explain what has happened?

Done. For the curious, the old poll was here

MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant

Done. For the curious, the old poll was here

Thanks! I locked the old poll (I thought the results would still be visible to all, but nope…), but here are the results from the old one:

oldpoll

So please, those who haven’t noticed the new poll, go vote there! E.g. I notice that no US-votes have been re-entered in the new poll.

Attachments:
    david
    david
    Participant
    Replies: 38

As a United States citizen who is only fluent in English (which is most of the US), I don’t really know the difference between US QWERTY and US International QWERTY. I picked US QWERTY in the first poll and I only picked US International QWERTY in the second poll with the assumption that it allows other people who do need special characters (presumably through some sort of shift/alt/function key) to access them.

I just now did a quick google search and found some apple keyboards that claim to be US International and others that claim to be regular US. It doesn’t seem like either one matches the Pro 1 keyboard. Is there a different layout for mobile keyboards vs computer keyboards?

If it means me pressing extra keys to type English, then I’ll selfishly change my answer to the regular US QWERTY keyboard. :-)

jason
    DW
    Participant
    Replies: 41

Sorry for joining in late voted now!

doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant
    Replies: 71

As a United States citizen who is only fluent in English (which is most of the US), I don’t really know the difference between US QWERTY and US International QWERTY. I picked US QWERTY in the first poll and I only picked US International QWERTY in the second poll with the assumption that it allows other people who do need special characters (presumably through some sort of shift/alt/function key) to access them.

I just now did a quick google search and found some apple keyboards that claim to be US International and others that claim to be regular US. It doesn’t seem like either one matches the Pro 1 keyboard. Is there a different layout for mobile keyboards vs computer keyboards?

If it means me pressing extra keys to type English, then I’ll selfishly change my answer to the regular US QWERTY keyboard. :-)

You are right, the US-International allows to type in other languages too. There are two approaches:

1. Dead key: In my opinion this is horrible, it means that some keys like ” are waiting for another key. So “a gives you an ä and ‘A an Á and so on. To type a normal ” you have to press it twice. This approach actively hurts normal US Users.
    2. Alt Gr: This is what we are talking about. Characters of other languages are well hide behind the Alt Gr key (Alt Gr+q = ä, Alt Gr+Q = Ä …). This is faster and does not obstruct US-Users other than it would need an additional colour and a third set of characters on the key.

anonim001
    anonim001
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

As for me… Polish QWERTY, which is actually US International AFAIK (the one with Alt Gr function) – everyone in Poland uses it.

Parhelion
    Parhelion
    Participant
    Replies: 13

I’m quite astonished that no francophone seems to be interested…

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

I’m quite astonished that no francophone seems to be interested…

Well until now only 25 people have answered the Poll, that was just launched about 24h ago. So hardly a representative proportion of the interested. See e.g. the disproportional large portion in the polls from the small Scandinavian countries.

david
    david
    Participant

I haven’t been following all the other threads. Is US QWERTY the only one that will be offered at launch?

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

I haven’t been following all the other threads. Is US QWERTY the only one that will be offered at launch?

I don’t think they have it quite clear if the German QWERTZ will be offered simultaneously or follows after.
    The pre-order page (still?) says

When will you support other keyboard layouts (QWERTZ, AZERTY, Scandi etc)
    The Pro1 will ship with QWERTY keyboard layout, when there is sufficient demand we will create additional keyboard layouts.

But we DO know that a German QWERTZ will be made (see this thread).
    with

…we will try to deliver it same time with QWERTY. :)

david
    david
    Participant

Thanks EskeRahn. I wasn’t sure if “The Pro1 will ship with QWERTY…” meant only US QWERTY or other QWERTY layouts too, with other alternate symbols on the keys.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.