Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Kzin
    Kzin
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

I had a HTC Touch Pro 2 for a while, it had a tilt screen, I liked the Keyboard on that. and the Droid 3 had a nice action and was super rugged, but Have a Droid 4 ATM, But the best keyboard I had was not on a phone it was a Psion 5MX. Put that Keyboard on a phone and I’m there!

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 368

Good news osamagirl69 If you look at the images in the newsletters

You can clearly see TWO Ctrl buttons on the five rows keyboard. :-)
    (And the @ on the 2 key the ‘standard’ way)

CornholioGSM
    CornholioGSM
    Participant
    Replies: 9

what is my favorite qwerty phone…hmmm thats hard question. My first was nokia 9110, then 9210, htc wox, htc xda atmos, htc s740, milestone, xperia mini pro, droid2global, droid 3 and then of course Photon Q…all of these phones was good…but maybe best was droid 3 for its design , 5 row keyboard and for metal frame around display.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Craig
    Craig
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 25

Motorola Photon Q.

To my knowledge, it’s the highest spec landscape slider there is…

I like the keyboard, Always been happy with it being conformable and usable. I like that Motorola allows unlocking bootloader. I like the ability to run cynaogenmod and lineageos, especially on such an old phone. I’m fairly happy with the size. I liked the hdmi port, I hooked it up to hotel TVs to watch video when traveling.

I’m not happy Moto never even released Kitkat even tho they’d promised it previously. I’m not happy that it required hardware mod to use sim card (to use outside us sprint), and I’m not happy how slow it seems today compared to modern phones. I also don’t like micro-usb as much as usb-c, which of course is not a fault of a phone that came out more than 5 years ago.

Ktharsia
    Ktharsia
    Participant
    Replies: 1

These are the phones I’ve used so far, but I don’t have a favorite:
    Nokia 9300i
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Motorola Droid 4

npatel1050
    npatel1050
    Participant
    Replies: 3

Favorite is the Desire Z or G2. Lovely design and solid keyboard.
    However best phone specs wise would have to be Photon Q or blackberry priv

oTToToTenTanz
    oTToToTenTanz
    Participant

@cornholiogsm wow, nice to see some old-school guys here in this forum. I followed your photon q mod back in 2012 and that was such an awesome phone… I just needed to change it for another phone when I needed to swap sim cards once in a while. Have been looking for another qwerty phone since but there has never been more than some leaks some early pictures of the Droid 5. Anyway, you seem interested in the upcoming qwerty phone?

Rud
    Rud
    Participant

Nokia E7-00;
    Nokia E6-00;
    BlackBerry Priv.

Ken
    Ken
    Participant
    Replies: 5

My qwerty phone list (in order I have used it):

ETen Gloofish M800
    Pro: one of the very first smartphone with full horizontal keyboard. Good response of the keys. Like the sliding mechanism. Good price (280€).
    Con: very bad OS (windows mobile 6.1). Bad hardware. Lot of problems. No finger friendly. No space between the keyboard keys. Huge bezel and small screen.

HTC Desire Z
    Pro: Android. Very good assembly. Still now in function. Good hardware for 2010 phone. Standard headphone jack.
    Con: the key’s response is not so good (very soft without “click”). After years of use some keys need to be pressed very hard to function. I didn’t like the sliding mechanism. Hardware too old for today (isn’t a con, it’s the hardware life). Price a little bit high (475€). Very difficult to unlock but is possibile to do.

Motorola Photon Q
    Pro: very good keyboard. Simply to unlock. The last QWERTY phone at the moment. Decent hardware. Good keybord response. Price low (used with hw mod: 100-120€)
    Con: slider connection cable that broke after intense use. Bad assembly. Keybord click too noisy. Need to be modify in the hardware if you need to use with your own SIM. This cause a lot of hardware problems like screen bugs/blackout, battery drain ecc. Need to change 3 times… After the last problem I choose to switch to a non QWERTY phone :-(

Hope this can help… Waiting form your new device! :-)

Slion
    Slion
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 22

Nokia E7
    Nokia E90
    Sony Ericsson vivaz pro

So looking forward to own one of yours. Go fxtec, go!
    One thing though, will it run Symbian OS? I’ll get my coat… :)

arne.karstensen
    hotsaucearni
    Participant
    Replies: 4

E7 – best design, too bad the OS sucked.
    N900 – best everything except design.
    I actually really liked the E72 as well, had it as a work phone for a bit. If a feature phone like E72 with 4g tethering came out I would buy it in a flash.

fxtec4
    rowos
    Participant
    Replies: 4

1) N900 – because of landscape and possibility to remap every single key as usual in Xorg. I have mapped complete US ASCII + most of CZ symbols with all required dead keys for CZ and DE. Yes, I had to remember the layout, but it was logical based on standard PC keyboard and I could switch the layouts using the two switch-keys

2) my current BB K1 with fixed portrait HW keyboard

I have seen the Pyra Handheld, but it’s not smart phone, it’s too thick. Then Cosmo Communicator (phone+camera version of Gemini PDA) looks good too, but it’s probably too wide (6″) to write without table and the Comso must be opened to write. Pro1 looks exactly how I wanted some Android should seen after N900. So I hope Pro1 gets on the first place :-)

Technophone
    Technophone
    Participant

Nokia 9000i – but weighed almost as much as a 1lb bag of sugar.
    Nokia 9100i – big advance over 9000i and still my favourite…!
    Nokia 9500 – eventually hinges cracked and the grey external finish started coming off despite being kept in a proper case
    Nokia E90 – eventually the well-documented microphone problem, not my favourite keyboard. Battery could still be changed easily.
    Nokia N900 – never used on a daily basis – arguably insufficient “business” software and keyboard not best suited to typing longer (over 2 A4 pages) documents

Nokia E7 from its release and still in daily use. To date, there have been NO problems with either the hinge mechanism or letters rubbing off the much used keys during this phone’s somewhat extended life. No screen burn-in. Sleeping clock and small charge LED indicator next to the microUSB are both of great benefit.

Blackberry Priv – never used on a daily basis – hot as a toaster, battery life poor, stuck on Android M though Blackberry had hinted that might release Android O. Did not take to keyboard, though screen impressive.

Two points arising from these phones possibly relevant to the design of the production Pro1 or any successor:

1 – Will the Pro 1 have a “full time” sleeping clock option? Would certainly be willing to pay a supplement as assume there is still some patent protection in force and extra hardware may be required;

2 – Will eventual and no doubt post-guarantee battery replacement require the use of assorted tools such as hot air guns, proper vacuum suckers, jigs and re-gluing, or will it, Nokia E7 style, mainly and beneficially involve the use of screws?

vlada
    Vlada
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

My favorites keyboard was E7:
    + the slider display, very simple to open it by one hand, only one display (do not need two of them)
    + good size of keys, good noic when pressing, good shape of keys, the keys were in good position
    – only 4 rows keyboard but it was because of size

Please put the characters back to the left so they are under the right numbersor shift the numbers to the right! This combination is odd.
    I understand why you do it but it will be odd.

shabbypenguin
    shabbypenguin
    Participant
    Replies: 3

The HTC Arrive is one that i s probably overlooked due to windows phone, but had a solid keyboard.

hands down my favorite qwerty device is the htc vision/g2/desire z. the hinge was satisfying to snap back and forth, the keys felt good and placement was nice. development was great on the phone and had lasting support.

Glad to see so many photon q owners here though, was my last qwerty device and im anxious to get a new qwerty that actually is decent (looking at you f3q…). i dont think ive been this pumped about a new phone in years. the keys being offset is going to be a learning curve and not thrilled about it, but i feel like its one minor issue vs getting a phone that has so much right for it. their bootloader being open and supporting developers is awesome and i hope we see some great ports because of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.