Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 393

I think no one has mentioned Samsung Brightside as it looks like it only released on verizon? May have gone by a different name internationally.

Makes sense, I’m not aware of any overseas version of it. Still, while the phone is small, and the screen stays flat when the keyboard is out, it’s a really nice keyboard, it’s basically the only reason I’ve used it for so long.

It seems to be Verizon only. Tried browsing a bit on GSMArena, and the closest international seems to be the slightly newer i827
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4771&idPhone2=4641#diff-
    https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2010&nYearMax=2012&fDisplayInchesMin=3.1&fDisplayInchesMax=3.2&sMakers=9&idQwerty=1

silversolver
    Jason Bassett
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 18

1. Droid 4. No question the best, and I’m still using it daily and to post this. :) Obviously F(x)tec agrees since they all but copied it for the Pro1.

You really think it is copied? The layout is substantially different, The Droid has 12 keys width in the letter rows, and 10 at the top row..

So in their layout the “1” and “2” is shifted less than one key to the left “3” to “7” roughly at the standard positions, and “8”, “9” and “0” shifted more and more to the right, with “0” shifted about 1½ key right from standard.

The Pro1 got 14 equally width columns. On the US layout ALL digits are shifted exactly one key left relative to the letters. <span class=”gdbbx-bbcode-font-color” style=”color: #999999″>(Or more accurately the letters are shifted one key right compared to the digits and other keys)</span>

(The Droid4 even has their letters in a much less than standard staggered arrangement. “ASD..” is only slightly left of “ZXC..”. The Pro1 is closer to follow the conventional QWERTY staggering – of course the staggering is just a convention today, though it on classic typewriters were to have the mechanical arms separated)

Keep in mind that you have physically held the Pro1 (from what I gather in forums) and I have not, so I’m going off pictures of that. After I posted, I did notice that Motorola used wider number keys than the letters, and thought what a waste that was. At the end of the day, I think that most people will quickly get accustomed to either layout, as both are just variants of the traditional typewriter/computer layout.

Speaking of typewriters, though, many compact typewriters didn’t have a 1 key; you used a lower case L instead. I don’t remember but I feel like that shifted the number row; I’ll have to look at my portable typewriter and see. I do have one. I even use it sometimes. :)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Speaking of typewriters, though, many compact typewriters didn’t have a 1 key; you used a lower case L instead. I don’t remember but I feel like that shifted the number row; I’ll have to look at my portable typewriter and see. I do have one. I even use it sometimes. :)

Here is one. No shift, the 2 centred between Q and W. (It was also very common to use the letter o for zero)
    https://www.tias.com/stores/clocksgalore/pictures/8139a.jpg
    compact typewriter

2 users thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

….But here is another without the zero, but with the one, and the digits shifted the other way(!)
    https://5.imimg.com/data5/VM/VO/MY-2105719/hermes-baby-g.jpg

…And here one with neither 1 nor 0 and shift like the Pro1
    https://www.bazaraki.com/adv/2356211_vintage-olympia-portable-typewriter/

silversolver
    Jason Bassett
    Participant

Here is one. No shift, the 2 centred between Q and W. (It was also very common to use the letter o for zero)

https://www.tias.com/stores/clocksgalore/pictures/8139a.jpg

compact typewriter

I have this exact typewriter. How did you get it out of my house?! :P But all the typewriters you’ve shown prove is that people will get accustomed to wherever you put the numbers, and that shifting them one way or the other is no crime. Also, thanks for the typewriter pictures. They’re as good as cat pictures. :)

silversolver
    Jason Bassett
    Participant

I take back what I said about the keyboard on the P1 being a D4 clone. I studied the P1 keyboard more closely today, and realized that there are some important improvements to the P1 over the D4. The one that excites me the most is the right shift key, which the original Droid had, but the D4 does not, and I miss it. This looks like the very best landscape slider keyboard ever made anywhere by anyone. I can hardly wait. :)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

This looks like the very best landscape slider keyboard ever made anywhere by anyone. I can hardly wait. :)

I’m definitely with you on that one. :-D

mahasamatman
    mahasamatman
    Participant
    Replies: 2

My first QWERTY slider was the Samsung Sidekick 4G, which also had the angled screen. I still have it as an alternate phone, even though the OS is so old I can’t update anything any more. But it accepts full-size SD cards, which was useful for the data SIM I bought for use in Japan so I could use it as a hotspot.

My current QWERTY slider is the LG Optimus F3Q. It’s not as nice as the Samsung, but has LTE support that the Samsung doesn’t. It’s getting a bit long in the tooth, though, and I’m really looking forward to replacing it with the Pro1.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    anonim001
    anonim001
    Participant
    Replies: 11

My first phone with a QWERTY-keyboard was Palm Treo 600 and I love it. Unfortunately bought it with some technical problems and one day I overpriced my technical abilities (I have to mention I was 14…) and decided to try to repair it which didn’t go well. Second was HTC Wizard – it was fat but small, the processor had whapping 180MHz (wasn’t too fast), but I rocked the keyboard really hard and if the flextape didn’t die I would be using it much longer than those 2 years – it was my best keyboard phone. Then there was Toshiba G900 which had software issues and was losing letters while typing, didn’t use it too long because it went to service after badly flashed ROM… They didn’t have the parts for it but it was still on it’s warranty period so they got me a brand new one despite the fact that it was not in production any more. Sold it afterwards and got me a HTC Touch Pro. It was a nice phone, shiny, pretty, handy, but the keyboard was too small for me. That one had some issues with touch-sensitive buttons on the front and also went to service and once again I got a brand new one, which I gave to my friend (since I bought me the android-powered Motorola RAZR in the meantime). My next phone with QWERTY was BlackBerry Q5 which I got for work. Loved it, BBOS 10 was fantastic, the keyboard was good but not as good as the one in Wizard. Then there was BlackBerry PRIV, but it was a total disaster – overheating, laggy, weak processor, the touch-sensitive keyboard was driving me crazy, but the worst thing was that thin plastic back cover, which was pushing against the motherboard so hard when in my pocket, that all contact pins of the antennas were dead after a year of using the phone. Switched it for Galaxy S7 and now… Now I’m waiting for the Pro1. If that one passes the test, I’m getting another one for my wife (Yes, I’ll be the test-rabbit:))

3 users thanked author for this post.
    doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 110

The N900 not because it had the best hardware, it probably hadn’t, but because the whole OS was designed for a keyboard phone (with a stylus). Go back in a menu? just click somewhere on the background. Call Peter, just type peter anywhere outside an app and press enter, sms? the same but with an arrow-key in-between.

This grade of efficiency will most certainly not be possible with android at the moment. But I hope some lineage-devs will work in this direction.

P.S. The single-key shortcut to an app is nice but pretty static.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

I hope they will allow long press on more than a single key to be associated with an action, say press Alt and then press and hold a key to do something.special. Say Alt+P to call Peter and Alt+Ctrl+P to send Peter an SMS…… Just brainstorming here…

doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 110

I hope they will allow long press on more than a single key to be associated with an action, say press Alt and then press and hold a key to do something.special. Say Alt+P to call Peter and Alt+Ctrl+P to send Peter an SMS…… Just brainstorming here…

Would be nice. I would prefer an Omni-search tough. Typing ‘Sky’ f.e. should give you a list with ‘call skyler’, ‘write skyler’, ‘open Skype’ and so on.
    This should include settings (‘Wirel…’ => ‘turn on wireless’), apps, contacts and so on (custom defined macros).

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.