Price          ​           ​ .

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    nidajeny
    nidajeny
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 31

Usually the preorders pay more and tech lose market value within months if not weeks. I was among the first pre-orders and now I’m not even in the queue. Why should I pay more to get last in line?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 647

Usually the preorders pay more and tech lose market value within months if not weeks. I was among the first pre-orders and now I’m not even in the queue. Why should I pay more to get last in line?

Well for stuff expected to sell like hot cakes where the manufacturer have a hard time keeping up the production with the demand, you are right, here pre-orders often are priced high.

On the other hand with new products with unknown (or expected limited) market impact, it is normal to set the pre-order price low to get some people ‘on the wagon’. e.g. Crowdfunded stuff do this all the time.

And I doubt the Pro1 will be in the first category….

Gon009
    Gon009
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 24

Saying that Pro1 has 3 years old spec is a really wrong statement because the screen, RAM and storage is completely fine. SD835 is a 2017 CPU, which isn’t 3 years old. Pro1 camera is used also in 2019 phones.
    Anyway, the price isn’t that bad if you compare it to BlackBerry Key2, the only current physical keyboard alternative, which costs even more than Pro1 and it had only 64GB memory and SD660 which is weaker than SD835. Also, Key2 isn’t made for video watching and is meh in landscape.

When it comes to SD835, you only need better one if you need 802.11ay for getting max speed offered by 5G, 4k @ 60fps video capture, being able to playing most GPU hungry android games at max details for a long time, VR or you want to use phone for AI. If not, then SD835 is completely fine and it won’t be that different from newer ones.

Another thing, comparing Fxtec Pro1 specs to Xiaomi is really unfair. Xiaomi got popular because it offers the highest specs for the lowest price possible, the probably have strategies to cut the manufacturing price where possible. Expecting that a small company that will only create few dozen thousands of phones should put the same price tag as Xiaomi is just unfair.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    nidajeny
    nidajeny
    Participant
    Replies: 31

They have the right to set the price as they go but consumers will react to It and they will get less buyers. Both wait and pay more is great way scare of customers.

Black Friday deal 599 Euro for Scandinavian qwerty. That would boost sale.

Craig
    Craig
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 105

I didn’t think the price was necessarily going to go up after pre-order, that is the first I’d heard of that. Most of what we’ve seen says its going to be 649. And everyone agrees its kinda expensive, but we’re willing to pay for it for the keyboard and understand the reason the price is high (R&D and niche market so not high volume).

But I really hope the price doesn’t go up immediately or else nobody else is gunna buy it. All the keyboard fanactics have already sent their money. There may still be a few out there who haven’t heard about this device, but not as many. So in order to keep getting sales and for the success of this company, I hope they don’t raise the price.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

I didn’t think the price was necessarily going to go up after pre-order, that is the first I’d heard of that. Most of what we’ve seen says its going to be 649. And everyone agrees its kinda expensive, but we’re willing to pay for it for the keyboard and understand the reason the price is high (R&D and niche market so not high volume).

But I really hope the price doesn’t go up immediately or else nobody else is gunna buy it. All the keyboard fanactics have already sent their money. There may still be a few out there who haven’t heard about this device, but not as many. So in order to keep getting sales and for the success of this company, I hope they don’t raise the price.

It is hard for us outside to know how they are going about all this, so we are just guessing. My guess is that as a startup their financing is limited, so I will not be surprised if the first batch produced is not much beyond the pre-ordered (plus spares for repair/swap). We can only hope that once people see the real stuff and it get some publicity, they will get an overwhelming number of orders in, but if not it is likely that later batches will be of smaller size and thus the unit cost price they have to pay for everything will be (even) higher…

sic_zer0
    netman
    Participant
    Replies: 179

Saying that Pro1 has 3 years old spec is a really wrong statement because the screen, RAM and storage is completely fine.

And 3 year old phone has no keypad except meh bb priv, in this regard Pro1 has no competition… Unihertz Titan and BB Key2 exist but jeez, those you could actually complain about the specs with.

When it comes to SD835, you only need better one if you need 802.11ay for getting max speed offered by 5G, 4k @ 60fps video capture, being able to playing most GPU hungry android games at max details for a long time, VR or you want to use phone for AI.

And that only even helps if you live in a place which has the infrastructure, which are not most places as far as I know. I think SD835 is an excellent choice, more than fast enough and it is cheaper than the newest not-noticably-faster chips.

Another thing, comparing Fxtec Pro1 specs to Xiaomi is really unfair.

One CAN compare a Toyota car to Bentley… And similarly Pro1 won’t be for everyone and neither are Xiaomi phones, we all can take our choice.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant
    Replies: 77

Saying that Pro1 has 3 years old spec is a really wrong statement because the screen, RAM and storage is completely fine. SD835 is a 2017 CPU, which isn’t 3 years old. Pro1 camera is used also in 2019 phones.

Anyway, the price isn’t that bad if you compare it to BlackBerry Key2, the only current physical keyboard alternative, which costs even more than Pro1 and it had only 64GB memory and SD660 which is weaker than SD835. Also, Key2 isn’t made for video watching and is meh in landscape.

When it comes to SD835, you only need better one if you need 802.11ay for getting max speed offered by 5G, 4k @ 60fps video capture, being able to playing most GPU hungry android games at max details for a long time, VR or you want to use phone for AI. If not, then SD835 is completely fine and it won’t be that different from newer ones.

Another thing, comparing Fxtec Pro1 specs to Xiaomi is really unfair. Xiaomi got popular because it offers the highest specs for the lowest price possible, the probably have strategies to cut the manufacturing price where possible. Expecting that a small company that will only create few dozen thousands of phones should put the same price tag as Xiaomi is just unfair.

It is not a matter of “Do I need better specs”, it is about “Value FOR the specs”. I am completely fine currently with my 821 chip. But I would not want to pay 600 EUR for one now. And no, I don’t think the comparison to Xiaomi is unfair at all. If they can provide 2019 specs at 300 dollars, then a small company should be able to provide 2017 (thanks for the correction btw) specs at 300 dollars and then add in the costs for keyboard development and lower numbers. So say 500 dollars. Again, I can accept the 650 eur price, because that is what it was set out to be, but not more. Absolutely not more.

The inherent problem so far, which was one of the first threads I ever made here, is the lack of proper communication from FxTec and their contradicting information.

It is extremely annoying that they first tell you “pay whenever your phone model comes out”, and then they change that. Then they tell you “Scandi will be made later after QWERTZ”, and I’m like “Fine by me!”. Then you get messages about “No Scandi will be made” followed by “Scandi is under consideration”. It is this lack of clear communication to us, the community and customers, that makes me lose trust in companies. What’s more, when they gave me a statement that “We always mention keyboards are introduced by demand” (and Scandi is very demanded), they also tell me not to share any of these statements online – like they are afraid of keeping the people informed. This is always a red flag for me. If a company can’t stand for what they tell their customers in private mails, and are afraid of it going online on THEIR OWN FORUM, then there is not much to trust, imo.

I might have to cancel my pre-order, because I am not at all convinced anymore. If they could promise EITHER that there will be a SCANDI version or that I can wait with my payment without having to pay more, then I could stay. But if they force me to pay 650 now for a phone I don’t even know will exist, that doesn’t feel too good of a deal to me anymore.

@eskerahn: Yes, it is normal for pre-orders to be a bit cheaper, but they NEVER said that was the case with the Pro1. They only said, that it was to ensure you get yours first. They never said it was at a lower price. And frankly, I don’t think anyone – including you – expected the phone to go even higher in price.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

@eskerahn: Yes, it is normal for pre-orders to be a bit cheaper, but they NEVER said that was the case with the Pro1. They only said, that it was to ensure you get yours first. They never said it was at a lower price. And frankly, I don’t think anyone – including you – expected the phone to go even higher in price.

Well I actually DID expect it to go up! I have always seen this like a ‘deluxe’ version of a crowdfunded project, where they took all the risk of the development, and only asking for money when they felt sure they could deliver.

I’m confused on your question on the Scandi, as you yourself posted a reply from staff from August 9, that there WILL be a Scandinavian layout. Though from where to count these “several weeks” is unclear, but my assumption is several weeks after the shipment of the US/German version.

The rest is better answered by someone in the staff.

MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant

Saying that Pro1 has 3 years old spec is a really wrong statement because the screen, RAM and storage is completely fine.

And 3 year old phone has no keypad except meh bb priv, in this regard Pro1 has no competition… Unihertz Titan and BB Key2 exist but jeez, those you could actually complain about the specs with.

When it comes to SD835, you only need better one if you need 802.11ay for getting max speed offered by 5G, 4k @ 60fps video capture, being able to playing most GPU hungry android games at max details for a long time, VR or you want to use phone for AI.

And that only even helps if you live in a place which has the infrastructure, which are not most places as far as I know. I think SD835 is an excellent choice, more than fast enough and it is cheaper than the newest not-noticably-faster chips.

Another thing, comparing Fxtec Pro1 specs to Xiaomi is really unfair.

One CAN compare a Toyota car to Bentley… And similarly Pro1 won’t be for everyone and neither are Xiaomi phones, we all can take our choice.

Again, you completely ignore (either by choice or by misunderstanding me) my point: I don’t think the specs are not enough. I think they are overpriced. Just like a modern Flagship phone from Samsung and Apple too. I complain about them as much. No matter how much 855 you put into a phone, they shoulid not be 1000 dollars! Period.

Your analogy to toyota and bently does not really work, because toyota would be xiaomi and Bently would be FxTec in terms of target customer numbers. But whereas Bently provides the utter most luxury for their customers for a premium price, Toyota does not. Which is fair. But now we have Xiaomi providing all the luxuries (except the keyboard) for half the price of the FxTec. THAT is the issue for me.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

Your analogy to toyota and bently does not really work, because toyota would be xiaomi and Bently would be FxTec in terms of target customer numbers. But whereas Bently provides the utter most luxury for their customers for a premium price, Toyota does not. Which is fair. But now we have Xiaomi providing all the luxuries (except the keyboard) for half the price of the FxTec. THAT is the issue for me.

And you answered this yourself in the parentheses…. A completely crucial “except” that is the whole reason for the existence of this product.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant
    Replies: 155

Please do not forget, that all 3 of the fxtec “directors” are probably using a lot of personal savings on this project. It is a big risk they are willing to take to bring the keyboard slider back (Even if it isn’t their money, failing would at least mean have a failed company in your CW).

I for my part are thankful that somebody is willing to take that risk.

Yes the price is high, but as a lot others have pointed out it is hard to compare to other phones. But remember the money will not go to a multimillion dollar company, it will go to a start up.

If you still think that should be cheaper, feel free to produce a phone yourself. I would love some alternatives. If you are sure that the phone is to expensive, that should be riskfree =)

Sorry I don’t want to mock anybody. It is a lot of money I know. And I feel sorry for everybody who wants a phone like that but could not spend that money on a phone with a clear conscience.

It may even be to expensive. It may be an aston martin. Way to expensive for what you get. You can get better cars for less money. But deep down you know you want one.
    The difference here is, that if a [horizontal slider] keyboard is a must for you, you have no alternatives.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant

And you answered this yourself in the parentheses…. A completely crucial “except” that is the whole reason for the existence of this product.

I see your point, but ask yourself this: is the keyboard alone worth 350 dollars?

In regards to the statement above; Yes I posted that message about the info desk telling me that they would provide a scandi version. Simultaneously they told me I would pay when scandi come available, not before.

Now they tell me I have to pay before (unless I want to pay a higher price), and that they MIGHT make a SCANDI. That kind of “misinformation” is what annoys me.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

I see your point, but ask yourself this: is the keyboard alone worth 350 dollars?

In regards to the statement above; Yes I posted that message about the info desk telling me that they would provide a scandi version. Simultaneously they told me I would pay when scandi come available, not before.

Now they tell me I have to pay before (unless I want to pay a higher price), and that they MIGHT make a SCANDI. That kind of “misinformation” is what annoys me.

If it to me was not, I would not have ordered it. As simple as that…

But I do certainly agree with you that the information they provided to us around the Scandinavian keyboard is a mess.

PanicBrothers
    PanicBrothers
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 1

Hey,
    really stupid discussion.

It does not matter what it costs, it is important that it is worth to you.
    Electronic is never a deal for save anything. Maybe tomorrow it is the half price or maybe you can buy soon a used Pro1 for 100 $ or maybe the sky is falling on our heads ;-)

I love to have something special and be one of the first Owner.

Regards
    Panic Brothers

6 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2019 FX Technology Limited. Company Number 11602958