Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    georgepatton1945
    Joakim
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 15

A few more pictures / updates about the port by Adam Pigg:

WLAN:

Bluetooth:

7 users thanked author for this post.
    jtmurdo
    Joshua Murdo
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 4

For those who can’t see twitter links

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Tim6263
    Tim6263
    Participant
    Replies: 3

… if it’s official …

I can tell you that 100% it’s NOT. I too was quite interested in the possibility of trying out Sailfish on the Pro1, so that I contacted Jolla directly. They advised me that porting Sailfish is purely a ‘Community’ project, and that I needed to look to Sailfish on Facebook. I did that, and there’s precious little about the Pro1 on there. That was enough to put me off the idea of chancing an unofficial OS on a brand new phone!

anonim001
    anonim001
    Participant
    Replies: 11

Well that’s pitty… Phone designed for communication without being able to use WhatsApp – for me it disqualifies using it with Sailfish, I’ll stay with Android.

doktor.oswaldo
    doktor.oswaldo
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 110

Well that’s pitty… Phone designed for communication without being able to use WhatsApp – for me it disqualifies using it with Sailfish, I’ll stay with Android.

The real pitty here is that WhatsApp is a must. I need it too, but would prefer not to.

Craig
    Craig
    Participant
    Replies: 30

I’m disappointed too, as I also have one Android app I don’t want to give up. If there’s a way to dual boot, I’ll probably try sailfish for fun, but will never be my primary w/o Android support.

(In my case, the app is google’s hangouts. I use google voice as my primary mobile number and it needs hangouts to ring and hangouts dialer to dial; I don’t even know the actual direct numbers to my phones (off the top of my head) as I dont ever use them for anything and this allows me to use multiple phones/devices all on the same number/etc, with data plans only, and take advantage of free wifi whenever possible.)

Swond
    Swond
    Participant
    Replies: 25

The project is still quite young. I can imagine that nowadays the FxTec team tries to implement Jolla fully into the Pro1. When this system will works on the device and will be reliable enough, I think they will discuss official implementation with Android Support. At least they would. Or should? :) Try to think about that: Jolla earns no money for the development (i mean from Pro1). And since they don´t know whether the phone will be sold in many thousand pieces, noone would invest their money into “unknown” project. But IMHO when FxTec implements the system well and everything will work fine, they can come to Jolla and say: hello, we are ready for next stage, it works, please allow Android support and you will get XYZ € for every sold instance. Sooo.. Stay optimistic, I would love to throw Android away!

5 users thanked author for this post.
    VaZso
    VaZso
    Participant
    Replies: 30

@swond, I also hope the same.

I would like to use Sailfish but without Android support it is not a real solution as primary phone… but I will use Pro1 as my primary phone, so for long-term use, I will only use Sailfish if it will support Android apps on Pro1.

As of Sailfish / Jolla, I feel it would be a good idea for them to fully support this phone if it will have good feedbacks and reach some critical number of sales. That could improve also Sailfish possibilities of future grow.
    (If initial support reaches a stable state, it may be easily extended also by Andoid support by official team.)
    Just think about the community of old N900 (Maego/Meego), this is a very similar, but modern hardware. If I would be the leaders of Jolla, I would keep my eyes of Pro1 and I would also consider some way to support F(x)tec – for example, if everything going right, an idea of official Jolla phone made by F(x)tec (as their next phone) would be also interesting if they can reach some negotiation.

So also F(x)tec and Jolla may could gain profit if they cooperate at some point.

So, we will see it later.

Swond
    Swond
    Participant
    Replies: 25

Indeed, That is true. You can see how Jolla and Galaxy cooperate. It might be the same situation. Keep my fingers crossed for future Sailfish Android support. I am sure the developers know this pain very well. And the adaptation of Sailfish is not so easy – as we can see that BT or WiFi support was not working at the beginning, but now they do. Soooo.. In this case I trust in the team they will reach their point, one day Android Support will appear same as the BT or WiFi did.

Waxberry
    Waxberry
    Keymaster
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 93

We hope to make the community port first. If it is proved that the port runs well and our user loves it, we will certainly look into other options. Currently our focus is to bring a stable and usable community port first. :)

10 users thanked author for this post.
    Parhelion
    Parhelion
    Participant
    Replies: 20

I really hope the community port will be successful and that this will also help bring sailfishOS a bit forwarad.
    So, if the combination gets running, I’m sure it’ll find its lovers.

Is there a chance to see the prototype at the demo event?

4 users thanked author for this post.
    georgepatton1945
    Joakim
    Participant
    Replies: 15

More updates by Adam during this week.

Switching between virtual and hardware keyboard:

Operational camera:

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.