Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    jason
    DW
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 66

Well putting an official image on for a different OS is different from a custom one. But I didn’t ask the original question but it was getting lost in the other thread and it’s worth getting an answer on.

Craig
    Craig
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 25

There definately are sometimes apps that don’t work on rooted phone. Pokemon Go was one I ran into couple years ago…early versions worked fine, then there was some versions with easy workarounds (rename su binary) then stopped working and by then I didn’t care about it enough, but I think there were further workarounds for a while.

I also believe things like tap-to-pay may not work on rooted phones, something about safetynet.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    kontakt
    Benjamin
    Participant
    Replies: 7

There definately are sometimes apps that don’t work on rooted phone. Pokemon Go was one I ran into couple years ago…early versions worked fine, then there was some versions with easy workarounds (rename su binary) then stopped working and by then I didn’t care about it enough, but I think there were further workarounds for a while.

I also believe things like tap-to-pay may not work on rooted phones, something about safetynet.

They are working fine using magisk as root-solution.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    jason
    DW
    Participant
    Replies: 66

Well Pokemon Go was a legit reason people were cheating :D

Noir
    Noir
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 34

People are still, and depending the OS and Security Patch root isn’t even necessary. For that specific app there has always been a workarond until today. Banking/TAN apps however are most of the time unusuable on rooted or even non-stock unrooted roms. If someone really depends on those apps, i would not recommend rooting.

In my opinion, rooting is not as necessary as it was years ago. An unlocked bootloader to flash a custom recovery is enough to get rid of bloatware and unwanted system-apps, manually backing up and restoring app-data, and tampering with the hosts file for example.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 368

In my opinion, rooting is not as necessary as it was years ago. An unlocked bootloader to flash a custom recovery is enough to get rid of bloatware and unwanted system-apps, manually backing up and restoring app-data, and tampering with the hosts file for example.

People really should try ADB, we can disable (almost) anything without the need for neither root nor flash, just a pc and a usb-cable…
    See https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/root-related-questions-split-from-support-time-thread/page/1/#post-16686 with link

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.