Scandinavian Layout Feedback Wanted

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 744

I think for the special characters (@,”, etc) are quite alright with their placements. It does not matter much, since the direction of your hand movement will be similar anyway. Only thing that might make it harder at start, is that you must remember to use different modifier than what you are used to with a normal keyboard.

Eske’s idea of stacked Ä + Æ and Ö + Ø seem fine to me.

As a programmer, looking at the keyboard with spreaded brackets all over the keyboard (I also hate that on normal Windows keyboard. OSX does it really well, when all the brackets are under 8 and 9, accessible with different modifiers), pains my soul, but does not really matter in the end ;)

Would love to order the keyboard atleast for my phone (since disassembling it didn’t seem impossible). I doubt I will be ordering a second one. For now atleast.

It is fairly easy to remap what we get pressing various combinations just like we want (well within reasonable limits). The important thing is to get the print right, as this is unlikely to be modified once set into production.

Currently with FinQwerty he has made the clever solution of having Shift+Key give what you EXPECT as standard, but have Fn+Key give what is printed. Of course we want the print to be as close to the standard as possible, but when it covers multiple languages this is not always possible.
    e.g when I on current shifted QWERTY set to Danish press Fn+9 it gives “(” as is printed, and is expected of a US keyboard. But Shift+9 gives “)” as expected in Danish.

FlyingAntero
    FlyingAntero
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 10

That is actually something we have in mind, but we haven’t yet decided how to implement it. We plan to have Swedish and Finnish as one layout, and Norwegian/Danish as another in software, but physically the layout would look the same – it would just act differently depending on which language you choose. This way you won’t have to combine them with the arrow to get Ø and Æ.

I like this idea! Scandic keyboards are usually implemented this way so it would be natural for us. In my keyboard (PC), Ö+Ø and Ä+Æ are printed side to side but combining them to a one character would be interesting idea. I haven’t seen that before anywhere but not bad at all.

Only suggestion for layout that I have would be flipping $ and €. $ is usually with 4 button and € with E button. And if you are going to combine Ö+Ø and Ä+Æ then * and ‘ could be moved from K and L buttons to Ö and Ä.
    My proposal:
    Scandic proposal
    Example of Scandic keyboard (PC)
    PC

View post on imgur.com

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    raphaelcno
    raphaelcno
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 55

I have to second what Zimeon wrote, it would probably be more natural for $ sign to be on the number 4 and the euro sign on the E.
    -Helppu

Yes, this solution would be similar to the desktop keyboard.

raphaelcno
    raphaelcno
    Participant

My preferred solution is 1, then 2, then 3:

2019-09-26-Fxtec-Scandinavian-keyboard-layout

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

My preferred solution is 1, then 2, then 3:

2019-09-26-Fxtec-Scandinavian-keyboard-layout<span class=”image-overlay overlay-type-image” style=”left: -5px; top: 0px; overflow: hidden; display: block; height: 716px; width: 996px;”><span class=”image-overlay-inside”></span></span>

On the μ (03BC) or µ (00B5) I would say that though handy for us nerds, it is hardly worth a print. That is not to say that the functionality should not be there pressing the combination.

And that goes for all 1,2,3
    By 1 you break the ‘rule’ Erik put up, so I think you should add to the list one with the three to the left and bottom in white, and the upper right the symbols in yellow. I would say that is better than your one (But of course biased as a Dane) Something like this quick copy and paste:
    Untitled-1
    YES I know these would be rather cramped and thus less than the other letters, But I think MOST non-nerds would prefer that

Attachments:
    raphaelcno
    raphaelcno
    Participant

On the μ (03BC) or µ (00B5) I would say that though handy for us nerds, it is hardly worth a print.

I agree, the µ is not the most important character, but I was just thinking that it is a standard character on the desktop keyboard, and it already exists on the German QWERTZ Pro1, so it will not be necessary to create this particular key just for the Scandinavian layout.

2019-09-26-Fxtec-Scandinavian-keyboard-layout-M-µ

Attachments:
    raphaelcno
    raphaelcno
    Participant

By 1 you break the ‘rule’ Erik put up

Yes, I understand, but I think what Erik means by his rule is that you can only have two “active” characters per key, one white and one yellow character.
    Only one character (for instance Ö or Ø) will be active at a time, depending on the language you choose.
    Having three white characters and one yellow character on the same key seems more difficult due to available space.

jason
    DW
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 124

I’d be surprised if android doesn’t support 3 keys per key as this is standard on keyboards already.
    {key}
    SHIFT+{key}
    ALT GR + {key}

But I think it may be a manufacturing issue to display 3 keys due to the size not an OS thing.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

I’d be surprised if android doesn’t support 3 keys per key as this is standard on keyboards already.

{key}

SHIFT+{key}

ALT GR + {key}

But I think it may be a manufacturing issue to display 3 keys due to the size not an OS thing.

I think it is mainly a design issue, as it could easily look a mess with a lot of print on the keys, and also the print could become so small so not everyone can read it. Already it is not easy to see the difference between “,” and “.” and between “;” and “:”

2 users thanked author for this post.
    raphaelcno
    raphaelcno
    Participant

I think it is mainly a design issue, as it could easily look a mess with a lot of print on the keys, and also the print could become so small so not everyone can read it.

Yes, there is too little space to have four characters with the existing size.
    But you can keep the existing size if you have two white characters and one yellow character:

2019-09-27-Fxtec-Pro1-Scandinavian-keyboard-layout-ÖØ-ÄÆ

One question to Erik from F(x)tec: Is it easier to produce keys with standard characters ÖØ and ÄÆ or with combined characters?

2019-09-27-Fxtec-Pro1-Scandinavian-keyboard-layout-Combined-ÖØ-ÄÆ

Attachments:
    EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster

I think that combining the colours will not be easy., but the combined letters could be in same colour, perhaps with different stroke, like the original idea.

theo.hallenius
    theo.hallenius
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 3

I personally don’t care how it will look, if it’s close enough to the one on N900 I’m perfectly fine, and I’m sure others will too. Just make it happen!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2019 FX Technology Limited. Company Number 11602958