Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    sic_zer0
    netman
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 53

On twitter and facebook a livestream tonight was announced: https://twitter.com/thefxtec/status/1128338602545623042
    And yesterday 4 videos showing off the device appeared on the fxtec youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfkDfk_zTQyxsNDKKPkxb6w

10 users thanked author for this post.
    david
    david
    Participant
    Replies: 38

I am seeing “This Week in Tech” on https://twit.tv/live right now. It is 8:04 PM EST right now and the link above (https://twitter.com/thefxtec/status/1128338602545623042) states that it should be on right now? Am I at the wrong place?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    sic_zer0
    netman
    Participant

I am watching it also, I think we’re in the right place but they’re a bit late. The schedule tells “all about android” is set to start 2am, and the picture on twitter says that name too.

david
    david
    Participant

It switched at 10 after the hour. Looks like we’re on the right feed now.

sic_zer0
    netman
    Participant

Ohh and it’s started!

david
    david
    Participant

Takeaways…

– Overall, very well received by the show hosts. I believe it was mentioned how solid it felt and how nice the buttons felt.

– It looked very responsive. I didn’t notice any lag with any apps that were run. Scrolling was very smooth. The only delay I saw was switching from landscape to portrait mode or vice versa, which is normal, in my experience. It isn’t clear if that was just the standard delay or if it was extra processing of the app rebuilding in the new view. I haven’t used newer versions of Android enough to know if there is a delay setting now. I know my old S3 Relay 4G takes 3 seconds to switch from portrait to landscape in Chrome. :-)

– In the discussion from Google I/O about Project Mainline, it was stated that the F(x) Tec will get google updates out as soon as possible. It was also mentioned that it is stock Android. I was under the impression, since it is stock Android, that we’d get the updates the same time the Pixels get them. Now, if I’m understanding correctly, it seems like F(x) Tec still has to do some things when the updates come out, but maybe not as many changes need to be made as other manufacturers, so they can get them out faster, just not concurrently with Google.

To be clear, Project Mainline will go around the manufacturers for security updates, but I’m talking about other updates that don’t come through the Play Store. It would be good to hear from F(x) Tec on this topic.

– The Pro 1 has support for Android Q on the Snapdragon 835. Beyond that is an unknown.

– The screen looked very glossy/reflective. It does make one wonder about glare issues. To be fair, the OnePlus 7 Pro had the same look.

– When talking about the Pixel 3a, they brought up the Pixel Visual Core chip that is missing on that phone vs the regular Pixel 3. They have made up for it in software, but the comment was made that some things take a little longer to process when taking pictures. It will be interesting to see if that type of software processing is available on the Pro 1 through the google camera app ports and how it performs. The Pixel 3a has a Snapdragon 670, versus the Snapdragon 835 on the Pro 1. It seems in some processing tasks, the 670 beats the 835 a little bit, and for other tasks, it is the other way around.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I just glanced at some benchmark comparisons online. It seems that raw CPU computations are faster on the 835 than 670, but the 670 might have some advantages in some of the non-CPU processing (GPU, DSP, ISP, VPS).

– I don’t recall the camera being discussed much or the fact that it has the same Sony camera chip as the Pixel 3. It surprised me that wasn’t mentioned.

– Game system emulators with physical keyboard apparently work really well on the Pro 1. :-)

– The show title went to the Pro 1, with “The Little Lappytop” :-)

I have some screenshots of the phone being shown on the show, plus one of the glare on the OnePlus 7 Pro, plus one final shot of the hosts and Adrian. However, the forum software only allows attachments of 12 KB or smaller! I can’t shrink them down that small and still have anything worth seeing. :-) If anyone has an idea of how to share them, let me know.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    david
    david
    Participant

I am guessing the non-live video will be available sometime in the next week at: https://www.twit.tv/shows/all-about-android

3 users thanked author for this post.
    sic_zer0
    netman
    Participant

Takeaways…

– Overall, very well received by the show hosts. I believe it was mentioned how solid it felt and how nice the buttons felt.

– It looked very responsive. I didn’t notice any lag with anything apps that were run. Scrolling was very smooth. The only delay I saw was switching from landscape to portrait mode or vice versa, which is normal, in my experience. It isn’t clear if that was just the standard delay or if it was extra processing of the app rebuilding in the new view. I haven’t used newer versions of Android enough to know if there is a delay setting now. I know my old S3 Relay 4G takes 3 seconds to switch from portrait to landscape in Chrome. :-)

– In the discussion from Google I/O about Project Mainline, it was stated that the F(x) Tec will get google updates out as soon as possible. It was also mentioned that it is stock Android. I was under the impression, since it is stock Android, that we’d get the updates the same time the Pixels get them. Now, if I’m understanding correctly, it seems like F(x) Tec still has to do some things when the updates come out, but maybe not as many changes need to be made as other manufacturers, so they can get them out faster, just not concurrently with Google.

To be clear, Project Mainline will go around the manufacturers for security updates, but I’m talking about other updates that don’t come through the Play Store. It would be good to hear from F(x) Tec on this topic.

– The Pro 1 has support for Android Q on the Snapdragon 835. Beyond that is an unknown.

– The screen looked very glossy/reflective. It does make one wonder about glare issues. To be fair, the OnePlus 7 Pro had the same look.

– When talking about the Pixel 3a, they brought up the Pixel Visual Core chip that is missing on that phone vs the regular Pixel 3. They have made up for it in software, but the comment was made that some things take a little longer to process when taking pictures. It will be interesting to see if that type of software processing is available on the Pro 1 through the google camera app ports and how it performs. The Pixel 3a has a Snapdragon 670, versus the Snapdragon 835 on the Pro 1. It seems in some processing tasks, the 670 beats the 835 a little bit, and for other tasks, it is the other way around.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I just glanced at some benchmark comparisons online. It seems that raw CPU computations are faster on the 835 than 670, but the 670 might have some advantages in some of the non-CPU processing (GPU, DSP, ISP, VPS).

– I don’t recall the camera being discussed much or the fact that it has the same Sony camera chip as the Pixel 3. It surprised me that wasn’t mentioned.

– Game system emulators with physical keyboard apparently work really well on the Pro 1. :-)

– The show title went to the Pro 1, with “The Little Lappytop” :-)

I have some screenshots of the phone being shown on the show, plus one of the glare on the OnePlus 7 Pro, plus one final shot of the hosts and Adrian. However, the forum software only allows attachments of 12 KB or smaller! I can’t shrink them down that small and still have anything worth seeing. :-) If anyone has an idea of how to share them, let me know.

Before attachments were allowed here I uploaded pictures to my website and used the img tag to get them on the forum.

david
    david
    Participant

I figured out that the hidden max file size is 512 KB, not 12 KB, so I can upload the screenshots now after resizing them to 75% height and width (56.25% original size) and increasing PNG to maximum compression.

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    sic_zer0
    netman
    Participant

I figured out that the hidden max file size is 512 KB, not 12 KB, so I can upload the screenshots now after resizing them to 75% height and width (56.25% original size) and increasing PNG to maximum compression.

JPEG is far superior for compressing photos, PNG excels at things like line drawings and screenshots where there’s big uniformly colored areas.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    david
    david
    Participant

More screenshots…

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    david
    david
    Participant

JPEG is far superior for compressing photos, PNG excels at things like line drawings and screenshots where there’s big uniformly colored areas.

I know, but with something like this where quality of the image was more important, I didn’t want to use JPG. I did try it at one point, but the compression artifacts were pretty bad on the small keys of the keyboard, etc. I always use jpg for photos.

EskeRahn
    EskeRahn
    Keymaster
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 291

It is now available here
    https://www.twit.tv/shows/all-about-android/episodes/420?autostart=false
    One of the Co-founders, Adrian Li Mow Ching, is with all the way, but for the device jump 37 minutes 37:15 in

5 users thanked author for this post.
    MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant
    Replies: 39

I am guessing the non-live video will be available sometime in the next week at: https://www.twit.tv/shows/all-about-android

Already available: https://www.twit.tv/shows/all-about-android/episodes/420?autostart=false

MortisAngelus
    MortisAngelus
    Participant
    Replies: 39

It is now available here

https://www.twit.tv/shows/all-about-android/episodes/420?autostart=false

Dammit, Eske! You were a bit faster! XDXDXD

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.